Massive Macro

MWHCVT

In Memoriam
Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
Okay so this evening I have done this macro study of this fifty pence coin, it's the first time that I've ever really done this type of image but basically this a series of photo's stitched into one giant macro, this is actually in total nearly 62 mega pixels in size :puke:

354/365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

This was probably more of a technical exercise if I'm totally honest (y)

To view a massive version of this one CLICK HERE

As with all my photo's C&C is welcomed and appreciated (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Last edited:
Why so many surely one shot on macro would have done, or not ?

I wondered that, maybe its the size of the massive image

as a shot its lacking depth in the coin design, with it being directly from overhead and flat lighting, maybe some side light would pick up the details more

Last edited:
well done Matthew
i have never done such a big stitch job
what is your sofware..its very well connected
cheers
Geof

Wow, amazing detail

Thank you

Well as I said in the OP this was more of a technical exercise to see if I could do it than for any particular artistic reason, as the the idea of doing this way if I wanted too I could print a poster roughly 150cmx150cm and still have perfect photo quality :LOL: yeah it could have been done in a single shot but it would not be nearly so detailed :D

I wondered that, maybe its the size of the massive image

as a shot its lacking depth in the coin design, with it being directly from overhead and flat lighting, maybe some side light would pick up the details more

There's an idea Dave (y) as I said above is was more a let's see if I can do it than any particular artistic thing :D

:clap:Great detail Matt but that sounds complicated how did you do it

Not really I set my camera up inverted on my tripod then just moved the coin around below the camera (y) the stitching was done in PSE7 just the same as any montage or panorama (y)

well done Matthew
i have never done such a big stitch job
what is your sofware..its very well connected
cheers
Geof

Thanks Geof, it was done in PSE7 (y) I'm pleased that you like it :D

Matt
MWHCVT

Like it Matthew (y)

Could be an idea for a thread on its own possibly, might try something soon.

Andy

Like it Matthew (y)

Could be an idea for a thread on its own possibly, might try something soon.

Andy

Thanks Andy, Indeed there is possibly a thread idea there (y)

Matt

The link to the "Massive" one is only linked to your 1024 image on flickr. where's the big one ? (ooo err :) )
How many photos are stitched ? 6 ish ? ie 1/6 of the coin at a time ?
At 1:1 with a 450d you can get roughly half the coin on the sensor, so 62 MP what's that? about 3:1 ?
What lens did you use, or was it lots of tubes or a raynox clip on ?

I'm just interested in details of the whole process (y)

The link to the "Massive" one is only linked to your 1024 image on flickr. where's the big one ? (ooo err :) )
How many photos are stitched ? 6 ish ? ie 1/6 of the coin at a time ?
At 1:1 with a 450d you can get roughly half the coin on the sensor, so 62 MP what's that? about 3:1 ?
What lens did you use, or was it lots of tubes or a raynox clip on ?

I'm just interested in details of the whole process (y)

That's annoying I'm going to have to check my settings on flickr as having checked it went logged out it only goes to the one you said :bang: to do this all that was used was a full set of macro tubes and 50/1.8 (y) I'm not sure what the ratio would work out at but it's made up of a total of 12 photos (y)

Matt

Not really I set my camera up inverted on my tripod then just moved the coin around below the camera (y) the stitching was done in PSE7 just the same as any montage or panorama
Thanks Geof, it was done in PSE7 (y) I'm pleased that you like it :D

Matt
MWHCVT
EXIF say you did it in PhotoScape

Yeah the massive one is working ok now.
Nicely detailed shot of one battered 50 pence coin.(y)
Although there are a few sections that seem really oof. Not sure if that was caused by photoshop or you just missed focus on occasion.
Really good effort though, something to go on the to do list :)

Yeah the massive one is working ok now.
Nicely detailed shot of one battered 50 pence coin.(y)
Although there are a few sections that seem really oof. Not sure if that was caused by photoshop or you just missed focus on occasion.
Really good effort though, something to go on the to do list :)

Indeed there are a couple of missed focus areas :bang: the most annoying thing is that I'm as of yet not totally sure why there are some OOF issue considering it was a tripod shot with the subject not the camera that was moved :thinking: I will figure the issue out at some point (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Indeed there are a couple of missed focus areas :bang: the most annoying thing is that I'm as of yet not totally sure why there are some OOF issue considering it was a tripod shot with the subject not the camera that was moved :thinking: I will figure the issue out at some point (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Auto and not manual focusing:shrug:?

Auto and not manual focusing:shrug:?

it was the 50/1.8 the lens was in AF to prevent any movement of the focus ring but there was no AF as I was using cheap manual tubes ;)

Back