Master of Photography is back

I enjoyed the first series but missed the last one. I will probably watch most of it.

Looks like they may have ditched the Leica's too. I'm sure the clip I saw had a "white" lens with a red ring, don't think Leica have that do they?

Watched all 3 previous series, so no doubt I'll watch this one too - thought the judging was sketchy at best in the last series and none of the contestants really wowed me. But I'll give it another go.

I like this - thanks for the notice. It's good to see what others make of the assignments

Having watched the ad all the way through, I think Canon is now the kit provider.

Looking forward to this, enjoyed the last 3 series, and the discussions about the last one here.

Never watched it but somebody that hired me once is in it so I might give it a peek :) I imagine she’ll do well too.

Having watched the ad all the way through, I think Canon is now the kit provider.

Considering that Canon is listed as the 'digital imaging partner' on their website, I'd say that's a fairly safe bet.

Never watched it but somebody that hired me once is in it so I might give it a peek :) I imagine she’ll do well too.

Cool! Maybe we'll shout for her. Season 1 it was easy, there was an Irish girl, last 2 seasons I found it hard to pick a favorite - usually the least bitchy contestant :D . It was my daughter started me watching it, been trying to get her into photography for ages - she has a passing interest but never really commits. She loves this show though, she loves doing her own mini critiques.

Never heard of it :eek:
What is it on and when ?

Think masterchef only for photography instead of cooking :D this will be season 4, they might have the older seasons still available on Sky catch up? This season starts next Tues, 8pm Sky Arts

Last edited:
Think masterchef only for photography instead of cooking :D this will be season 4, they might have the older seasons still available on Sky catch up? This season starts next Tues, 8pm Sky Arts
All seasons on demand just catching up with ones I like look of like Ireland landscapes

Cool! Maybe we'll shout for her. Season 1 it was easy, there was an Irish girl, last 2 seasons I found it hard to pick a favorite - usually the least bitchy contestant :D . It was my daughter started me watching it, been trying to get her into photography for ages - she has a passing interest but never really commits. She loves this show though, she loves doing her own mini critiques.

Her name is Sonia Bhamra, I can't imagine her being rude at all. I hope not :)

I hadn't thought of it as such, but if your ego is that fragile, feel free to be offended.
A simple 'no', would have worked but then that doesn't appear to have been the case, given the tone of the words that you chose.

I know it is not everybody's favourite but I am pleased that this is coming back in a week or so. :clap:
Thanks for the heads up. I know there’s quite a bit of pretentious nonsense in this program but I do enjoy watching it. I wish I had the opportunity (and confidence) to shoot what they do.

Thanks for the heads up, seen all the others.

I just wish they mixed it up a bit, like having landscape one week, then wildlife the next, transport the next and so on.

Or is just me that thinks that?

Eos R. If it's Canon it had to be the new one I guess. First assignment, contestants using 50mm and 24-105.

I watched one episode and the judges were all arrogant, pretentious and overly critical so I didn't watch any more. Is it worth watching more??

It is, but agree, all of them are pretentious w****rs, especially the Italian one. The English guy also likes to use lots of clever words. I liked the guy that did well today with the feet but it was not a GREAT pic, some of the bullshot the judges come out with is laughable. Also, I swear that the guest tog liked the photo that was ranked the worst?

It is, but agree, all of them are pretentious w****rs, especially the Italian one. The English guy also likes to use lots of clever words. I liked the guy that did well today with the feet but it was not a GREAT pic, some of the bullshot the judges come out with is laughable. Also, I swear that the guest tog liked the photo that was ranked the worst?

For me, it's a load of pretentious twaddle - it's so bad, I've got to watch it!
As regards judging, it brilliantly proves the point that one man's meat is another man's poison.......
On the other hand, some will feel it's great - we're all entitled to our own opinion.

I watched the first part and have seen all previous series. My background is science so I have always found technical aspects of photography easy but struggled with the arty stuff. The competitors of this programme have to master the arty aspects so being good technically may help but no more. I find it fascinating to consider what I would do if I were asked to do a similar project under the pressure and timescales they have. The equipment they have is almost irrelevant and they all have the same. For this first assignment my initial reaction was that I would wish to capture the essence of how important the port of Ostia was to Rome and have read much of the history in the past. However, from the scenes they showed nothing came to mind. Even if I were there I am not sure I could have found a shot to tell the story. I did think the ghost idea by at least one candidate was good and did consider what I would do. As they were constrained to use a single frame, I would have double exposed with a normal street or arena shot and a blurred shot of one of the statues. I would no doubt have needed to experiment as many of the candidates did. It was then interesting to see how they fared given the very difficult task; not necessarily technically difficult but difficult to communicate your idea.

It is always easy to criticise judges but, nevertheless, I agreed with their two top choices. I look forward to challenging myself with the next episode though fortunately I only have to pretend.

Dave

I think the right one went home, there was nothing in the photo at all!

Wasn't really understanding all the praise for the foot photo, but i took an instant dislike to the bloke so could be why.

Wasn't really understanding all the praise for the foot photo, but i took an instant dislike to the bloke so could be why.

I liked him and thought his litter idea was great, but poorly done.

I watched the first part and have seen all previous series. My background is science so I have always found technical aspects of photography easy but struggled with the arty stuff. The competitors of this programme have to master the arty aspects so being good technically may help but no more. I find it fascinating to consider what I would do if I were asked to do a similar project under the pressure and timescales they have. The equipment they have is almost irrelevant and they all have the same. For this first assignment my initial reaction was that I would wish to capture the essence of how important the port of Ostia was to Rome and have read much of the history in the past. However, from the scenes they showed nothing came to mind. Even if I were there I am not sure I could have found a shot to tell the story. I did think the ghost idea by at least one candidate was good and did consider what I would do. As they were constrained to use a single frame, I would have double exposed with a normal street or arena shot and a blurred shot of one of the statues. I would no doubt have needed to experiment as many of the candidates did. It was then interesting to see how they fared given the very difficult task; not necessarily technically difficult but difficult to communicate your idea.

It is always easy to criticise judges but, nevertheless, I agreed with their two top choices. I look forward to challenging myself with the next episode though fortunately I only have to pretend.

Dave

BIB. I think they have to master the art of b******t more than anything else, being able to come up with some concept or other to explain what they've taken a shot of. I don't think the people that went home were any better or worse than those that stayed, they just weren't as good at bulls***ting as the other contestants, you could see them struggling to come up with an arty concept, and in terms of the brief I don't see how the top 2 had actually created a landscape (ironic seeing as they questioned the statue photo as to whether it was actually a landscape or not) or given any indication of the mix of past and present in their shots, certainly no more so than any of the others. But maybe I'm just a philistine who didn't get their photos. I'll keep watching though as I did enjoy it.

Dave

I am exactly the same, I know how to get a 'technically' correct photo but nothing arty and rarely interesting or something that stands out of the crowd. Technical stuff you can learn, but I'm not sure if you can learn to be creative or 'arty'? I watch these kinds of programmes and think "I'd have never thought of that idea in a million years", likewise some images I see on Flickr etc. I find that I often lose my mojo as a result as I'm trying to move past the "picture postcard" or "run of the mill" kind of photography but end up falling well short.

As I said although I have struggled with the arty side, I have never given up but it will never be automatic. I do sometimes have original ideas and have been successful in national and international salons. I have notice the top three photographers in my club (a large club) are all artists and they struggle with some of the technology. However, they know enough of the technology to do want they want artistically. It is very difficult to make this work the other way round so I remain in the second tier. One thing I am strong at is utilising other people's ideas and developing further (RI for any Belbin fans) but do not have the original ideas very often. We must not be deterred as Leonardo Da Vinci was a first class scientist and artist so skills in both areas must be possible.

Dave

We must not be deterred as Leonardo Da Vinci was a first class scientist and artist so skills in both areas must be possible.

TBH I think the 2 go very much together, and many of the better scientists I know are musicians or artists or creative in other ways too. Also worth noting that originality that produces something of VALUE is VERY scarce (there's more originality producing stuff that's simply not very good) and practically everyone's work is derivative, which is fine and how it should be.

Back on topic, I saw the first series & a bit of the second and to me, the take home message is know your target market and what it wants - it's not about the photography, but being able to interpret a brief to suit the taste of the judges. TBH I've no further interest really.

Quite like that the judges go with them now.

A category like this is always going to generate BS from the judges. Prefer it when they have to shoot a portrait, editorial etc.

I don't agree that the right one went home, but that contestant certainly picked the wrong image and that was down to the guest photographer ... he steered them right off their original plan. I think the other one should have gone, thought that one was just terrible

I do however agree completely on your second line, it was a close up of something already in place - no great use of lighting or technique, ... he had the BS spiel to make it seem more interesting and them judges do love that. That guy seems a bit of a plonker to me, with these notions of artsi-fartsiness and spewing more rubbish than he picked up

Yes, the guest photographer was far too influential in this show.

I think s/he should comment on a photo the contestant picks, advise on post-processing, and maybe help choose between two photos if the contestant really can't decide, but not literally pick one from four or five.

And, yes, pretty painful to see someone come up with a BS story/meaning after they've shot the pic.

Anyway, look forward to next week's... :D

Yes, the guest photographer was far too influential in this show.

I think s/he should comment on a photo the contestant picks, advise on post-processing, and maybe help choose between two photos if the contestant really can't decide, but not literally pick one from four or five.

And, yes, pretty painful to see someone come up with a BS story/meaning after they've shot the pic.

Anyway, look forward to next week's... :D

This has happened every season, the guest photographers persuading the contestants to choose different images to what they'd had their mind set on. And often then when judging, slating them for the same image! It is up to the contestant of course whether to ignore their advice, bit of a catch 22 though. If they do, and the judges frown on their choice, then they are closer to the exit

I moan about every episode but I do keep coming back! :D

I do like that they are using the EOS R now instead of the Leica gear they used previous seasons. It feels much more relate-able, it's gear than any of us here could have [apart from that hulking 50mm!]

I have watched all the series and I find all the judges comments totally unrelateable(?) to the images they are supposed to be critiquing. And don't understand how 'landscape' and the foot tied in. I thought the pile of rubbish idea was the best but badly executed - at least it tied in the old and new concepts.

One thing that has always got to me is the format of the show. So, we lost a budding photographer at stage 1, maybe because the brief is so left field for her. Why can’t they let all the contestants shoot the first 4 projects, then send home those that didn’t reach the standard?

To me that seems a much better way of levelling the field, and you also have a chance to get to know the character of all of the contestants.

I’ve watched it every year, but rarely do I agree on winning images, although the 2 that came out on top this week were miles in front of the others.

Back