Matching D300 RAW files and D800 MOV files?

Edit My Images
No
I have started shooting time lapse sequences which I want to edit together with conventional MOV files shot on a D800.

Due to the large number of frames needed for the time lapse I am shooting them on a D300 to save putting a huge number of clicks on the D800.

As standard the RAW files from the D300 don't match the MOV files very well in terms of contrast, saturation, vibrance etc. Is there a standard work flow for matching these 2 types of files or is it just a case of tweaking the RAW files to match. I am editing them together in Sony MS.

I have the same issue with files from a 600D not matching those from a D7000 - -my fault for using two different cameras from different manufacturers. I'm starting to run movie files though After Effects and there are some really good grading options and then re-import them into FCPX for editing. It's not perfect and to be honest, it'd be made easier if I had matching cameras. But because I shoot in compressed output there's not that much tweaking available with the movie files.

To be honest, any matching of stills that are placed in the edit alongside movie files is done via LR to match as closely as possible. Obviously batch processing will help with large numbers of files, but depending on lighting, lens used (etc, etc) it really does seem to come down to manually tweaking shots to match.

EDIT: I wonder if you can get a D800 preset for the D300? Pretty sure Nikon Capture used to have profiles available so you could match stills from different cameras. Long shot, but you might find out the values of what the D800 is recording at and apply that to the stills from the D300

Last edited:
Well, I don't know if this is helpful but I put my 2p in; I video/shoot dance shows for various people and I always take numerous cameras to get backup/different shots and the colours reproduction out of the camera is always different. The colour match that I use in FCPX has been reasonable accurate for me (apart from a few times where the range of colours in a shot is just huge....)

Investigate DaVinci resolve for a free, powerful colour grading option.

Investigate DaVinci resolve for a free, powerful colour grading option.

You'd be enter off 'grading' the files in Lightroom or similar, in bulk, before creating the mov file - especially if you're shooting the stills in raw

I do a reasonable amount of work with both video and stills, and would agree with the option of grading the still in Lightroom first. You can grade to a certain amount video in Lightroom, but it is limited and only works with some controls in Quick Develop. However you can use it to get close to the result you want, and finalise in your NLE

Also FCPX will import RAW files into both events and projects

Back