Critique Mating Beetles

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
I spotted these two Beetles on a small tree outside and I had our lass holding the tip of the branch and turning it for the best angle. I was desperately trying to get it as sharp as possible, but moving the camera in and out at the angle it was out, I decided to snip the end of the branch and take it indoors. I'd also hugely under exposed the first shot so have tried to bring it back in Elements. Lighting was from a camera mounted Yongnue 560 IV with a Stackers Tube (Aldi Pringles :giggle:) with two layers of foam inside...I rushed in to the living room where my table top tripod was set with the Velbon Mag Slider, replaced the Stackers Tube for the remote trigger and put a 6 x 5 inch softbox on the flash. Not having anything to hold the flash, I called for our lass.

As soon as I placed the branch on a white board, the beetles immediately jumped off, not what I was after. If it'd not hard enough, black insects on a white background!
I took about around 45-50 shots, and whilst I'm quite pleased with the results, image quality just looks poor (Fine Jpeg) I focused using the Mag Slider but nothing looks
pin sharp to me, Nikon 50 mm @ F18 with three extension tubes.

Any comments and advice, good or bad are appreciated...

Black Beetle X 2.jpg

Black Beetle X 2B.jpgBlack Beetle X 2C.jpgBlack Beetle X 2D.jpgBlack Beetle X 2E.jpgBlack Beetle X 2F.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty darn good I reckon. F18 is to small of an aperture and the softness is probably due to diffraction, try to not go above f11 if possible.

Pretty darn good I reckon. F18 is to small of an aperture and the softness is probably due to diffraction, try to not go above f11 if possible.

Much appreciated Alby :giggle: I was hoping to get away with it at F18, and thought that diffraction would only be a problem at F22..I'm also shooting RAW from now on :giggle:

Much appreciated Alby :giggle: I was hoping to get away with it at F18, and thought that diffraction would only be a problem at F22..I'm also shooting RAW from now on :giggle:
You could try putting your camera on a tripod and take something stationary and see which aperture looks best.

Back