Matt or reflective monitor?

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
About to buy a 22" or 24" monitor and wondered what screen surface is best to use for editing? I guess location is more difficult with the reflective screens but if they are much better to work with it's probably worth the effort.
Any feedback from experience would be very welcome. :thinking:

Thanks Darren

Shopping trip coming up!
Jim

My response would have been a little more explanative but I had to rush off! I find matt monitors to have a better overall colour balance and brightness balance. It is personal preference, neither is BETTER than the other. It one was just better then Apple would only make one for the macbook pro.

What are you looking at?

Thanks Darren
Not got any specifics in mind yet as I thought I would be sensible for once and ask before just rushing out and ending up buying something inappropriate!
I'd welcome any recommendations. I'm hooking it up to a Sony notebook.

Thanks again
Jim

This trend for reflective screens does my head in :bang: The only pc laptop I could find when I was looking a while back that didn't have one was a cheapo Toshiba, which I ended up buying, the reflective screen on my Compaq was driving me nuts, fortunately it's dead now though..

I'd buy whatever fits your budget and looks good to YOU

There is a load of stuff written about the relative merits of different display technologies but it's all down to how they work with your eyes.

Only buy something you have seen, NEVER buy purely on a net/magazine review.

Thanks Darren
Not got any specifics in mind yet as I thought I would be sensible for once and ask before just rushing out and ending up buying something inappropriate!
I'd welcome any recommendations. I'm hooking it up to a Sony notebook.

Thanks again
Jim

My monitor on the Mac pro is a Dell 2407 wfp which I really love. It is superb and when I bought it it was better than the Apple equivalent. I was going to get the 3007 but it ended up being a choice where the loser was one of my lenses! The lens won in the end and I got the smaller monitor. I am about to buy a second monitor for the Mac pro and will be getting another 2407 :)

I have heard that the Dell 2408 is not as good from some people but others have said it is superb. These monitors are Semi pro/pro monitors you can get much cheaper BUT would you chose the cheapest lens? If you can spare the extra there is a 27" version of the 24" Dell with the same resolution, not sure how it compares though....

This trend for reflective screens does my head in :bang: The only pc laptop I could find when I was looking a while back that didn't have one was a cheapo Toshiba, which I ended up buying, the reflective screen on my Compaq was driving me nuts, fortunately it's dead now though..

I agree the screen on my macbook pro is the best screen money can buy - 1900x1200 17" matt..... lovely :)

Apart from Matt or Glossy I found it was worth checking out the type of panel particularly for colour accuracy and viewing angles. It is worth finding a shop which is selling a SIPS and TN panel and comparing. The SIPS panel is more expensive but worth the extra cash if you are into post processing, they are alos more expensive though.

Thanks for the input guys. Plenty to consider there so I'm glad I asked the question first.

Sorry I seem to have asked this twice (another thread) - put it down to age!

Thanks
Jim

Back