Beginner Max memory card

Name
Philip Procter
Edit My Images
Yes
Hiya all

What is the best and the biggest memory for a canon 80D

It probably tells you in the manual. If you don't have one, it's almost certainly available online.

It's risky to use one large single memory card. If it gets corrupt, you'll lose a lose a lot of images.

Lots of little ones are better.
Risk is managed in many ways.
If you use lots of smaller cards, there’s more mechanical movement which is a possible point of failure, there’s also more cards to lose, ergo increasing the risk of loss.

It’s extremely rare to ‘lose’ an entire disk of images due to malfunction, I’ve only ever had 2 card failures, between those occasions I have lost a total of 5 images. Of the hundreds of thousands of images I’ve shot, it’s hardly a major concern.

Hiya all

This will likely help:

https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/canon-80d/sd-card-comparison/

Not sure what the maximum side is, that’s a manual job to find that out.

Looks like the SanDisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s come out top of the tests for speed. As long as you buy the cards from an approved sellers you shouldn’t get a fake (don’t trust ebay or amazon marketplace sellers). I think size will come down to cost .and what you are willing to pay (prices vary from £17 32GB to £119 256GB).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-l...olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&condition=refurbished

Size to me depends on how many images you are going to take in one go. No point paying for a huge card tha5 holds thousands when you only take a few hundred images.

A decent speed (90 MB/s) 64GB card is a good sweet spot for size vs. cost IMO.

But 'best' doesn't really mean anything as everyone's criteria vary.

Hiya all

Hopefully you have an answer now, but I would say the personality trait to want ‘the biggest and best’ is incompatible with a happy life and your new hobby.

Photography is a money pit, the ‘biggest and best’ sometimes costs £5000 more than something that’s 95% as good.

Welcome to TP.

Back