Maximum Warp, Mr Sulu.

Ian D J

Michael Fish
Name
Ian D J
Edit My Images
Yes
Was hard to work out where is the best place to put this photo but decided on putting it in this section. It is a fairly tried and tested theme but since it did get quite a healthy response in Facebook World, I thought y'all might like to see it.

Yesterday evening (Sat 7th March) I stood on a cold and dark platform at Folkestone West station with my trusty D7000 + Siggy 10-20 mm lens and after an hour of getting shots that looked a bit uninspiring, I was just about to call it a day after starting to feel the cold and noticing dew forming on the camera and lens . . . but then I saw the lights of another approaching train looming in the horizon so I gave it one last go - and it ended up as being the best shot out of the session because another train was coming in from the opposite direction. Finally, it felt like that itch has been scratched.

Train20March2015201.jpg~original

Camera settings were iso 160 and f9 for something like over a minute (I just held down the remote shutter on bulb mode and hoped for the best). It was also done in the RAW format - now I know why anyone who is half serious about photography prefer to use this format.

That's Railly good, I bet you are chuffed. Good to see it online. Glad you are getting back on track.

I'll get me coat.

:D I was starting to find it difficult to see the point of doing it as I stood on that cold, damp and dark platform for an hour. But I had to train myself to stick at it and then finally got that money shot. :naughty:

This came together really nicely for you Ian, I'd be tempted to have a crack at either doing it with a star trail or a really stary sky like a Milky Way sky merged in...

Hi Matthew and cheers! Actually, the star trail/starry sky with the milky way theme is on the list of photography itches that needs scratching. It is a tried and tested idea but it's something I personally haven't covered and I do know of a good location to do that with. Like you said, I need the most clearest of skies without urban light pollution getting in the way - and have to bear in mind humidity/temperatures changes causing dew to form on the lens, like it tried to do on the evening I took that train photo.
Also need to study up on the best camera settings for that kind of thing before carrying out the mission.

Last edited:
Hi Matthew and cheers! Actually, the star trail/starry sky with the milky way theme is on the list of photography itches that needs scratching. It is a tried and tested idea but it's something I personally haven't covered and I do know of a good location to do that with. Like you said, I need the most clearest of skies without urban light pollution getting in the way - and have to bear in mind humidity/temperatures changes causing dew to form on the lens, like it tried to do on the evening I took that train photo.
Also need to study up on the best camera settings for that kind of thing before carrying out the mission.

Well you know where I am should you need any advice or help etc...not commented on each thread but noticed you've been doing a little more at night out and about lately, it's great to see (y)

Well you know where I am should you need any advice or help etc...not commented on each thread but noticed you've been doing a little more at night out and about lately, it's great to see (y)

I will hold you to that one! Indeed, I am trying to fire up the mojo by getting back into my light painting/night time stuff - which is my favourite thing photography-wise. Mind you, it won't be long before those lighter evenings kick in.

I will hold you to that one! Indeed, I am trying to fire up the mojo by getting back into my light painting/night time stuff - which is my favourite thing photography-wise. Mind you, it won't be long before those lighter evenings kick in.

Yeah it's the light painters curse....long dark nights, in winter but it's damn cold, or lovely warm summer evenings but they're far too short...summer nights I'm lucky if I can get one decently legnth star trail in, especially if I want to shoot North of 800 ISO :LOL:

Back