Maximum wind speed for decent reflections on water.

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
I’ve never really taken any ‘reflection’ shots of water bodies. Obviously you need a calm morning but what sort of wind speeds are we talking? 7mph? 2mph?

Thanks,
Tom

More like zero... If you want crystal clear reflections you usually have to be there early before the sun causes even localized airflow (thermals), which will cause ripples.

Reactions: Nod
If I want reflections I look for anything lower than 6mph and there's a fair chance it may happen. Of course what's forecast and what happens is entirely a case of suck it and see. In it to win it and all that.

If you want rippled then go out in a gale lol
If you want a mirror reflection then the wind can blow all it wants providing the location of the water is sheltered and receiving no gusts!

When I used to check for this on the bbc weather app anything less than 3mph was generally suitable. Don’t forget the wind often blows and then rests and blows again so you can get a mirror image and then not and then so and then not. Need to time it right.

Even a very light breeze can cause ripples, I'd say you want pretty much no wind, or a very sheltered spot.

Zero - water is easily moved by the tiniest movement of air.

Preferably in the centre of a high pressure weather system during autumn or winter so there's no thermic activity (sun heats ground, which heats air, which rises causing air movement over the ground). Even then, sunrise or soon after will be the best time, but sunset works occasionally too.

I’ve never really taken any ‘reflection’ shots of water bodies. Obviously you need a calm morning but what sort of wind speeds are we talking? 7mph? 2mph?

Thanks,
Tom

I will take a punt on anything upto 3mph on the forecast, but pay attention to the gust speed - anything more than 6 unless its very sheltered and it's very hard to get them.

Today is probably a no-no for the UK...

Back