mb-d80 Wont work..

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
hi guys just brought a new nikon mb-d80 grip from warehouseexpress, tried fitting it to my camera and it just has a flashing battery symbol in the top left and wont turn on.. the battery however reads one bar under full in the camera itself..

Ive just left the battery on charge to see if it needs charging but it seems like when you give it a wiggle the lcd on the top on the nikon d90 comes alive with all the settings then disapears again.

Cheers Ben

do you have to have 2 batteries in the grip for it to work?

if not return it and get a free replacement

no i dont think so, it refers to using one battery pack..

have you tried both battery slots?

yeah tried both..

strange that you say you can wiggle it as on mine when the battery is fully inserted and the clip that holds it in moves across there is very little movement and certainly not enough to move the other end of the battery too affect the contacts. You could get some AA batteries and try the adaptor that way you can eliminate a battery issue completely.

hi guys update..

I have since been home after work and tried using it with 6 ni-mh batteries inserted and it seems to work well, i cant quite understand why it is doing it.. as i have a new d90 with new battery and new mb-d80 anyone got any ideas?

hi guys just brought a new nikon mb-d80 grip from warehouseexpress, tried fitting it to my camera and it just has a flashing battery symbol in the top left and wont turn on.. the battery however reads one bar under full in the camera itself..

Those are the symptoms you get with incompatible batteries, however you can also get them if the grip isn't properly attached to the camera, so make sure that the knurled wheel is fully tightened.

lol yeah ive taken it off. and shouldnt be an incompatible battery? as it was the new one that came with my d90? i think it must be faulty...

I think you're right in thinking that it is faulty. I know with my one it's very straightforward - insert the battery, making sure it's fully tightened to the base of the body and bob's your uncle :)

i'll take it back i think..

i'll take it back i think..

:bang:

There's nothing to an MB-D80, it's not like it's full of complex electronics, it's a bit of plastic with a handful wires in it. If it works with the AA holder in it then it is working fine,the AA and EN-EL batteries use the same electrical connections.

I seriously doubt that there's anything wrong with it, try taking it off and reattaching it. Here's a video on how to do it.....

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NATFZlXPrWw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NATFZlXPrWw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Thank Flash but sent it back i was using it properly got a new one and it worked 1st time so must have been faulty

Ben

this might of been the problem

3136277456_a6734feb77.jpg

You can see that the center battery connector on the camera is not making contact with the battery grip. This doesn't matter on the AA batteries, but it does for the EN-EL3e. It also explains why it works when the grip is loose: the center connector "moves outward" when pressure is placed against it. When I tighten the battery grip as tight as possible, the connector "falls off" the plate and loses contact.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikondigitallearningcenter/discuss/72157608774436325/

Back