McAfee or Kaspersky?

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
As above what one Ive used McAfee for years however it seems to slow my computer down alot.

Any advice?

Hi

I found I had the same issue with McAfee on my laptop - really slowed my system down - found it really annoying.

I put Norton on my laptop last September and I've had no problems since.

Alison :)

Haven't any experience of Kapersky but I too used McAfee for a while until it bunged my laptop up.

Flippin difficult to uninstall as well :(. Leaves stuff behind and IIRC even tried to reinstall itself from time to time. Had to search Google for tips on how to COMPLETELY remove it in the end!

I use AVAST now, which seems excellent and uses very little resources while scanning or daily updating.

Best of luck.

Neil

Ok thanks people so free anti virus software is the way to go then?
Rather then spending 30 odd pounds on it.

norton the answer for speeding systems up? thats a first.. :p

avast - lightweight, free, secure (more so than the likes of norton, avg, sophos)

I've always had Norton on my desktop with no problems at all :p

Alison :)

Ok thanks people so free anti virus software is the way to go then?
Rather then spending 30 odd pounds on it.

Some better than others I imagine. First free one I used after my McAfee days was AVG but this got more and more bloated until they released AVG8 which REALLY slowed my machine down. Then switched to AVAST and have been very pleased with it since - about a year now I think (y)

Some better than others I imagine. First free one I used after my McAfee days was AVG but this got more and more bloated until they released AVG8 which REALLY slowed my machine down. Then switched to AVAST and have been very pleased with it since - about a year now I think (y)

Thanks alot my McAfee runs out in 7days so I will try it out.

I was a Panda user for around 4yrs then encountered major update &
'you need to restart your pc' requests which i got a little tired of.

My father had purchased a 3 user kaspersky package from Ebay for £15
so i had one of the licences.

Its been as good as gold for around 4mths so far.

I think if you bank with Barclays, you can get it free.

Very slow start up when I used Kaspesky, gone to Nod 32 much quicker and no problems

I have Kaspersky on my system. Very pleased with it. Wouldn't go back to Norton if you paid me!

:agree:

If you want to protect your machine Kaspersky is the way to go.

DO NOT - EVER - have a free anti virus program - there's a reason it's free :bonk:

Sophos all the way :D

The problem with all free antiviruses is that as they gain popularity they start to update more often to get people to purchase the 'better' package, and in constantly updating/modifying they slow down

There's nothing wrong with free antivirus, you just have to catch the ride early

I've used Kaspersky for about 2 years and found it great, started off on a free 6 month trail then took it out for a year and just renewed last year, fantastic not wanting to change. Used AVG before that **** was also good, don't rate Norton Mcaffee. When I bought my last PC the guy said it came Norton, but I said I used kaspersky he didn't try any more and said good choice!

I've used Kaspersky for about 2 years and found it great, started off on a free 6 month trail then took it out for a year and just renewed last year, fantastic not wanting to change. Used AVG before that **** was also good, don't rate Norton Mcaffee. When I bought my last PC the guy said it came Norton, but I said I used kaspersky he didn't try any more and said good choice!

I think as I can get it for free for a year thats made my mind up Kaspersky it is :D

I tried Macaffee then Norton
both about as much use as a chocolate fire guard
I have been using AVAST for years now
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

runs in the background hardly notice it until I get a "virus warning" a little OTT with the siren and flashing "symbol" but it certainly gets your attention :D
Updates on a very regular basis as said its free but you do have to "register" every year

DO NOT - EVER - have a free anti virus program - there's a reason it's free :bonk:
That's a bit of a generalisation - a lot of people use AVG Free and are happy!

I personally use ESET Nod32, which has been excellent for me.

I used Kaspersky for a year before going back to Norton.

The only think I couldn't get used to was that the firewall kept popping up asking for permission to allow actions.

Good for security I know, but a bit of a pain having to press allow all the time. You can switch this notification off, which I'd probably do if I used it again.

Note I only switched back to Norton because I got a cheap 3 license pack which made more economic sense.

If you bank online with Hsbc you can get a free years subscription/download for MacAfee
Personally I use the free Avast home version and have been for about 3 years without any problems

home computers i generally opt for avira
work computers i go for eset nod 32
any large business networks i'd go for sophos

+2p :)

That's a bit of a generalisation - a lot of people use AVG Free and are happy!

If Free AVG was any good why would they bother to make a charged for version and why would computer users buy it?

Free AVG is like the Italian Army - OK to have around as long as there's not a problem but don't expect it to actually do anything when you're under attack! (y)

I've always had Norton on my desktop with no problems at all :p

There was a time many years ago when Norton was the dog's wotsits but over time it just got so bloated and slower as they introduced new features to stay ahead of the competition probably. A lot of people say they have no problem but often they have no experience of anything else and don't realise just how much slower their system is running because of it.

If Free AVG was any good why would they bother to make a charged for version and why would computer users buy it?

As with most freebies, they don't have all the features of the commercial package. One difference with AVG is real time spyware protection is not part of the free version IIRC?

You get what you pay for, but that doesn't mean the free version isn't any good (unless it came from China perhaps? :LOL:).

The best by far is Esetnod32 (www.eset.com)

Ive tried them all near enough and eset is absolkutely leagues ahead. Its lightweight , fast , totally secure and only costs about £25 per year

Matt

I've used Kaspersky for the last 3 years and although it can slow down boot time a little bit, it is extremely effective at what it does.

I did notice a couple of months ago that the 3 licence version was in PC World for about £15 cheaper than the downloadable version.

It would take a major upset to make me change now.

The OP (or anybody else for that matter(y)) can search the net for independant tests and trials of AV software - I'd be very interested in any that showed a free program outperforming overall the paid for versions including Kasperky Internet Suite.

Free AVG is like the Italian Army - OK to have around as long as there's not a problem but don't expect it to actually do anything when you're under attack! (y)

I must strongly disagree with this. Free AVG is far superior to most paid-for anti-malware products aimed at the home market. I used to also be a fan of BlackIce Defender and even paid for it at one time. But now I do so little work in XP, the free AVG is more than enough.

And don't get me started on Nortons. I used to provide 'IT Support' to local businesses. Whenever someone brought me a poorly machine with Nortons installed, I wouldn't look at it until I had their agreement to uninstall it.

Don't forget, people, that the most important anti-malware component of your system is the squidgey bit between your ears ;)

kaspersky all the way!

If you're going free I think AVG (without any of the dreadful link checker stuff installed) has to be better that AVAST. I've found AVAST to be a dreadful resource hog, much more so that AVG, especially on older systems.

I've found AVAST to be a dreadful resource hog, much more so that AVG, especially on older systems.

Are you sure?? EXACT opposite to my findings :shrug:

The paid-for versions offer extra features that the free version does not, such as a firewall and spam filter. Just because it's free doesn't mean that it isn't "any good"!
I do wish that people wouldn't get caught up with the "that costs more, it must be better" thought process, because it isn't always true.

Are you sure?? EXACT opposite to my findings :shrug:

Hhmmm, but tried them both on my GFs ancient lappy and AVAST slowed everything down to a crawl. AVG (minus the link checker and email scanner) was much smaller and didn't noticeably effect performance.

But as they are both free I guess it's easy to check them both out and see what works for you :)

I personally use Kaspersky.

Back