McNally's New Book!

Items dispatching soon:
Delivery estimate: 15 April 2009 - 27 April 2009

:(

Mine's here.

Mine shipped today,

So is it worth it for those who have received it.

Odd! One day it's telling me I've got to wait a month, next it's telling me its shipped!

Woop woop!

Same here :(

Still, at 12.99 its gotta be a bargain. If I like it i'll probably end up buying 'The moment it Clicks' too

The only photography book I've considered re-reading

Got home to find mine on the doorstep too. Not had the chance to start reading properly yet though.

Too early to say. So far I've only read the first part and it was a bit dry, full of thankyous and name dropping people I've never heard of. But it's had me laughing and puzzling in about equal measure, not puzzling at anything technical but at McNally's approach (aperture priority, let the camera do the work, trusting that it knows better than you, which is totally opposite to my train of thought. This is not a criticism of McNally before any of you fan boys start). Overall though it's okay but I'm glad I got it at Amazon's discount price and not the RRP.

I'm sure I read online somewhere that the first section was dry so I'm looking forard to getting back into it when I get back from working away.

Mine shipped today,

IMO yes, and I've not really read any of it yet, just flicked through. But then I'm a big fan of his work so maybe I would say that.

Too early to say. So far I've only read the first part and it was a bit dry, full of thankyous and name dropping people I've never heard of. But it's had me laughing and puzzling in about equal measure, not puzzling at anything technical but at McNally's approach (aperture priority, let the camera do the work, trusting that it knows better than you, which is totally opposite to my train of thought. This is not a criticism of McNally before any of you fan boys start). Overall though it's okay but I'm glad I got it at Amazon's discount price and not the RRP.

I'm sure I read online somewhere that the first section was dry so I'm looking forard to getting back into it when I get back from working away.

The thing is, go and research the people he mentions... Normally it's worth the effort.

I have to say, I've subscribed to the same approach to the meter in the camera as Joe for a very long time, so I find it comforting to read him say it. I use AV pretty much exclusively too, and then use +-EV when I know the light will fool the meter. For me manual is just too slow, and I'd end up basing my decisions on the meter anyway so using EV is just quicker for me.

Pete

Snap re: Av and EV as well. I rarely use manual.

As for the first part 'name-checking', one of the things I really like about Joe is that he never forgets people who help him and work with him and makes a point about saying that he can't do this stuff on his own. He's pure class and utterly ego-free.

Snap re: Av and EV as well. I rarely use manual.

As for the first part 'name-checking', one of the things I really like about Joe is that he never forgets people who help him and work with him and makes a point about saying that he can't do this stuff on his own. He's pure class and utterly ego-free.

Whats is worse, and I don't know if you've had this yet with your D3 Guy, is when you use EV in matrix mode only to find it's underexposed for the backlit subject, then you set it to 0 and it's spot on. All that clever scene recognition in the meter really works sometimes.

Indeed, I always find it funny when he's interviewed and he basically gives everyone but himself credit for his work. I have to admit I'm almost a fanatical fan of his. In fact when we were in NY at new year the only reason I wanted to go to the top of the Empire state was so I could point up to the spire and tell my wife "Joe climbed right up there, How crazy is that?! " :help:

Pete

Yep, I get that. I have my Fn button set to switch to spot metering so just hit that rather than muck about with EV. I find the matrix scarily accurate most of the time.

He's a total legend.

Yep, I get that. I have my Fn button set to switch to spot metering so just hit that rather than muck about with EV. I find the matrix scarily accurate most of the time.

We must be careful, the Manual 100% of the time brigade will be on us if we keep speaking of such things... :rules:

Agreed, it's an admirable quality, something I also admire Chase Jarvis for (even if I don't think ALL of his work lives up to the hype) he always credits it to the team.

I will be looking up up some of the photographers Joe worked with in his early days and those who inspired him when I have time, my comment was more about the guys from Epson and Bogen etc etc who I have no idea who they are. I'm not complaining about it being in there just commenting that it makes the first section quite dry.

I use manual most of the time cos the AV mode of my cameras tailors the shutterspeed to the focal length. This gives differing ambient light contributions if I'm using a zoom across its range.

I've read the excerpts from the book and wouldn't buy.

All the name-checking could be for a variety of ulterior motives, typical of the media blitz from across the pond.

Mine arrived this morning- had no chance to look at it yet. Will do now..

Just ordered mine :). I love Joe he puts it across really easy. I've watched a few of his videos and The guide to creative lighting was excellent and I learnt so much from it. He really knows how's to work them speed lights (y)

Woo Hoo! Just got an email from Amazon 'Your order has been despatched'!

So we won't be seeing Tomas for a while..................then more fab pics :)

Got mine this morning. It...................is..................ace.

Have only skimmed through it, but it's got me all excited about taking photos again (been in a bit of a lull recently).

Mine arrived this morning too....and uch, this is easier.....

Got mine this morning. It...................is..................ace.

Have only skimmed through it, but it's got me all excited about taking photos again (been in a bit of a lull recently).

(y)

After reading a bit more of the book, I think it can basically be summed up as "shoot Nikon and use a CTO on your flash".

There you go, I've just saved you £12.99 :naughty:

Ordered mine 3 days ago and still being quoted delivery : 14 April 2009 - 27 April 2009 :bang:

And never leave home with less than 10 speedlights :D

Brilliant book by the way.. if anyone is wondering whether to buy (y)

:LOL:

It's definitely worth buying, McNally's style of writing makes it an enjoyable read, a lot of what's covered is basic Strobist stuff, but it's a must-have nonetheless, as is his earlier book, The Moment it Clicks (y)

Got Mine today, quick scan at dinnertime looks good very much like his other book “the moment it clicks” still not had chance to get into it sure it will fill my head with some great McNally trick I will want to try.

Looking forward to a couple of sleepless nights

Wham on the door mat this morning. woo hoo!

Wow, there's alot of tips, tricks, guides, hints and technique to process there, it's going to take me a while to chew all the info. Great stuff! Exactly what I was hoping for (y)

Waiting for mine from Amazon too...can't wait. I haven't seen Moment It Clicks, so I may try that as well. :)

Beyond a few extra stories, for the most part I think the majority of the stuff covered in The Moment it Clicks is also covered in this book in more detail.

Back