McVities Jaffa Cake Judgement

• Thread starter paul cull-pearce
  • Start date
P

paul cull-pearce

Is the McVities Jaffa Cake a cake or biscuit...what do you think ? :shrug:

I think the Jaffa Cake is indeed a cake which is why they named called it that. Its base is made from sponge cake, not biscuit, they must have been thinking about that when they called it a Jaffa Cake. ;)

Paul

From the same place you copied your opening post from ;) :

Yes the VAT man wanted it to be a biscuit. That way it would fall by virtue of its chocolate coat into a category of products liable to VAT at the standard rate, i.e. luxury biscuits. As a cake however it is zero rated for VAT, no matter how luxuriant, much to the VAT man’s continuing annoyance. In fact Wifey and I once had a chat with ex Tory Minister John Knott who brought in VAT when the Conservative Government of the time took Britain into the Common Market. He recalled that the whole VAT introduction went surprisingly well expect for the Jaffa cake which caused all sorts of problems. In 1991 the matter went to a tribunal (number 6344 in case you were wondering) in which the VAT man argued that the Jaffa wasn’t a cake and so should not be exempt from VAT (VATA 1983 Sch 5 Group 1 excepted item 2), trotting out all the old arguments. McVities countered with all of the other old arguments plus a specially prepared 12 inch Jaffa Cake, which focused the tribunal’s attention on the sponge base. The tribunal concluded that, while the product also had characteristics of biscuits or confectionery which was not cake, it had sufficient characteristics of cakes to be a cake for the purposes of zero-rating. (The tribunal also determined that the product was not a biscuit.)

hehe yeah heard that on QI some time back. It's not good when you think you just ate 5 whole cakes though after a quick munch on some Jaffa Cakes :(

Yeuch ... Don't like 'em whatever they might be called/are ... :shrug:

gummizelle.gif

:p

the limited edition dark choccy ones are the best

we had some apple and blackcurrent ones, but i dont think they were propa jaffacakes, more some lesser imitation, THE ONE i had was lovely as suzie hoovered up the rest of the packet!

It's a cake, as mentioned above.

I think I read that it was defined as a cake, simply by the way it ages.

When a biscuit goes 'off', it goes soft.
When a cake goes 'off', it goes hard and stale, hence it's a cake.

Definately a cake. Also very very yummy! :p

Also very good for dunking in hot tea (although you have to be quick).

Dunk in your cuppa then suck the melted chocolate and cakey goodness off, then eat the orange wibbly bit :D

Cakes for sure.

Go round the edges first leaving the middle bit for last.

(y) Way to go Staffitaxi, when you are left with the middle bit, press it against the top of your mouth and let it melt Mmmmmmmmmmm
Dean:)

Who cares, they taste great. I will enjoy their yumminess and leave the debating to the masses
cookieyh4.gif

Back