Me and My Shadow

Name
Karen
Edit My Images
No
A break from posting kingfishers have got some more to post but will post them another time, this time a heron a common bird I know but I do like to photograph them when I can

Heron10.jpg

Last edited:
Another clear crisp image, brill. I love the shadow, but I cant make up my mind about having the foreground in focus and the background oof, it just makes my eyes go funny. Anyway I just hope mine come out half as good as yours.

Another clear crisp image, brill. I love the shadow, but I cant make up my mind about having the foreground in focus and the background oof, it just makes my eyes go funny. Anyway I just hope mine come out half as good as yours.

Cheers Martin didn t want to low an aperture else my shutter speed would have dropped so hence the oof background, which is what I wanted anyway.

Last edited:
A very elegant bird Kaz, unless that is, you keep carp :bat: lol. Nice detail though, I'm comfortable with the DoF but thats personal taste. The eye detail is very good indeed, nice work (y)

Karen, I really like this. It is a lovely study of a Heron and the DoF is just fine for me. They may be common but around here they are so timid that I cannot get within 100yds of one so well done to you.

Very good Karen. Like the shadow and the "green spongey stuff" it is walking on.

Donna, herons have been persecuted for years by anglers etc, that is why they are so wary.

Never got that close, light from the left and the shadow add to the excellent sharpness (y)

It works well on that green background and foreground Kaz, sets off the bird really well (y)

Can't see any probs at all with the dof.

As everyone else have said it's just spot on. Exposure great and not over done on the afters either.
Love the pose and that leg/foot.

keith (y)

Can I just clear up the DoF problem I have. When I look at this shot and see the front of the herons neck there are 2 small mounds (on the right) of grassy/mossy stuff and my eye keeps being drawn to the 2nd mound where it starts going from in to out of focus and I have to look away and refocus as it makes my eyes go funny.

I still think it is a great shot.

as Donna said not an easy bird to pin down,so as far as I'm concerned you have captured a superb image,well done Karen.

I was at Oulton Broad in Norfolk one year and a wooden pontoon went out into the water where people were sitting on chairs and relaxing and there was this guy hand feeding a heron with sardines out of a tin...LOL.

Haven't had a chance to try it yet. I was going out this weekend but I had a bad weekend (I suffer from Lumbar & Cervical Spondylosis) so I was indoors all weekend, but hoping to go out tomorrow (Tuesday) providing the rain keeps away if not then Wednesday.

I'm sorry but the title really reminds me of red dwarf.... I need a life lol

Back