me boss got this today

Name
mat
Edit My Images
Yes
my boss went out earlier today and came back to the office with one of these

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/penta...oom-lens-50-200mm-zoom-lens-03858320-pdt.html

i didnt even know he was getting into togging but apparently he is, i asked why he bought that one and he said it was within budget and seemed like a good deal with the 2 lenses

he also got a carry bag chucked in for good measure

he also likes the idea of having the aa batteries as he said they can be picked up from any shop if needed

so what do you guys think, i reckon it will be ok its a entry level and ive heard there all much of a muchness so hopefully he will be happy with it

mat

pretty darn good deal. If I was starting out, would definitely consider.

he also got a 1 gig memory card thrown in but the bought an 8 as he thought 1 wouldnt be enough

At that price its a good deal, the pentax DSLR's are vastly underated as are the Samsung's which are basically rebadged Pentax's.

The up side is good ISO noise handling, good IQ, in body anti shake system that works well with any lens and even telescopes! and ANY pentax or pentax mount (M42/PK/PKA/PKAF) lens will work with them, be it 30 yrs old or new.

The only downsides are lack of dedicated new AF lenses, and the weight using 4AA batteries.

The only downsides are lack of dedicated new AF lenses, and the weight using 4AA batteries.

There is more than enough AF lenses for 99% of users, I am covered from 11mm to 500mm and although I would love something like a 500mm f5.6 realistically I am never going to be able to afford such a lens (although I think Sigma make one in Pentax mount).

The only thing I would give my right arm for is a MPE-65 .. I am still thinking of buying a Canon body for (60D would seem ideal with this lens because of the moveable screen) just this lens.

I like the price war that is taking place now. BEST BUY say they will pricematch anything,then PCWORLD go a little better, they will pricematch anything plus a further 10% of the reduction off.

I bought one of these K-x and it has been a fantastic starter kit for someone who hasn't been into DSLRs - nice and easy to use - seems to have lots of features and the pics are great. Low light pics are superb - plus two lens give a starter a good feel for what happens when you swtich between lens which isnt immediately apparent if your coming from compacts.

Nah - that's not a good deal - this is a good deal. :D

(If they wern't too small for my hands, I'd buy one.)

and this exact camera from Park Cameras arrived for me today :D it's really nice and belies it's £320 price tag
edit:....dammit..wth? £20 cheaper today than is was yesterday? oh bother :(

Superb camera! pentax have been coming out with some real gems.

What would you do with FOUR cameras :eek:

Stick the new 35mm f2.4 on that (or the 40mm pancake) and you would have a cracking little lightweight walkabout camera.

Four? - no. Chris may be very good, but he's not that good. :p

He wanted one of the 7Ds back. :(

I would actually consider changing to Pentax just so I could utilise old lenses. I only need a wide prime, standard prime and a short telephoto prime and I'd be happy as Larry.

That happens a lot and the reason Pentax released the LTD range of pancake lenses.

DA 15mm, DA 40mm and DA 70mm on a K-5 or K-r ... you have a fantastic lightweight kit which is easily up there with the best from all the makes.

Mike.P said:
That happens a lot and the reason Pentax released the LTD range of pancake lenses.

DA 15mm, DA 40mm and DA 70mm on a K-5 or K-r ... you have a fantastic lightweight kit which is easily up there with the best from all the makes.

any opinions on the 31mm 1.8. the damn thing is expensive but reviews state it's an amazing lens, are there any cheaper alternatives?

i love my samsung GX1s but now looking at coming across to the darkside of Nikon/ canon

as my first DSLR its been amazing and have taken great pics and still going strong

Nah - that's not a good deal - this is a good deal. :D

(If they wern't too small for my hands, I'd buy one.)

The OP's Boss purchased
PENTAX K-x Digital SLR Camera + 18-55mm Zoom Lens & 50-200mm Zoom Lens for £449.48

The Park Camera's price for the exact same package is more expensive !!!!!
Pentax Kx + 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 SMC DAL AL - Black @£379.99
The 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED Lens is an extra £99 ( white box version )
So overall £478.99

Simply Electronics currently have the same package for £429.95with free delivery

Last edited:
The OP's Boss purchased
PENTAX K-x Digital SLR Camera + 18-55mm Zoom Lens & 50-200mm Zoom Lens for £449.48

The Park Camera's price for the exact same package is more expensive !!!!!
Pentax Kx + 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 SMC DAL AL - Black @£379.99
The 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED Lens is an extra £99 ( white box version )
So overall £478.99

Simply Electronics currently have the same package for £429.95with free delivery

at the time of posting the K-x with the 18-55mm was £300 meaning with the extra £99 for the 50-200mm would have made it £400, that was a fantastic deal. I got mine for £320, but the price has thus since shot up by £60, probably because the K-x is in effect discontinued now

any opinions on the 31mm 1.8. the damn thing is expensive but reviews state it's an amazing lens, are there any cheaper alternatives?

The 31mm, 43mm and 77mm LTD lenses are probably as good as you will get in any make of camera. Absolutely top notch quality.

The new 35mm f2.4 is getting very good reviews and is very affordable, the 35mm f2.8 LTD Macro is a little more expensive but better built or maybe look at the Sigma 30mm f1.4?

Back