Meat thermometer recommendations

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
It's a reassuring habit to get into. And I admit I'm now hooked.:shifty:

However, they're rubbish, not in principal, in practice. My first one lasted a couple of years, but it felt flimsy and I thought it was therefore not 'good' the next 3 lasted less than a year each! And they were more expensive and more 'solid' feeling.

So has anyone got a reliable meat thermometer they've had for 3 years or more in regular use? If so, what's the make / model.

I've been using a Weber meat thermometer for about 15 - 20 years, but it's analogue, not digital. Don't know if they're still available but mine has been bulletproof.

America's test kitchen swears on the Thermapen. Not cheap, but from their videos it's almost instant in reading the temperature.

The coolest thing I've seen so far was a corded thermometer that you can leave in the oven. Plugs into the phone socket and an app monitors the temperature. That way it can sound an alarm when your meat has reached the appropriate core temperature. Forgot the name though.

I've got a digital remote probe one from clas ohlson that seems very good so far.

I have a thermopen and its great, not just for meat but for general cooking requirements!

I had a manual one from Asda for a few years until I lost it last year.
Was quick on the reading (With being manual), and even had handy guides, little diagrams of animals showing the minimum temps :p

I replaced it last month for a digital one off ebay. A fiver or so.
Same as this
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DBj28IV8L._SY300_.jpg

While it works. It does take a short while for the readings to catch up. (10-20 seconds or so)

Back