Med Gull, Kittiwake and Turnstone - Advice please

Name
Rhod
Edit My Images
Yes
Poor light yesterday but always fun to visit Mumbles for the Med Gulls and the Kittiwake colony.

Edit: Whilst I understand that white skys do not give the best light can anyone offer any advice for shooting in these conditions or is it best to wait for better light? Thanks!

Advice and comments please!
Thanks for looking(y)

Last edited:
Hi Rhod.

I came across this fellows site some time ago and his article on photographing birds, which I found interesting. Regarding your question, have a look at Tutorial 5 on Exposure, there is a section at the end which is a table for EV compensation. Hope this helps you with your query.

http://mikeatkinson.net/tutorials.htm

Last edited:
Anything in particular Rhod as those shots look pretty good to me (y)
Tbh each day the light will be different and will make you alter things you did not the day before so to speak, I just take a couple of test shots at something against the light eg: top of a tree or post and see what it looks like, you can always go forward or backward from that then. So long as you have not blown the subject beyond no return then all adjustments can be made in pp.

Thanks guys! I think I'll revisit when the sky is kinder. Dai the Turnstone was on the pier, looking for fishing bait!

Great shots, love them, you also asked for advice about shooting in these conditions..........

Just a noob's ideas but would spot metering help & custom WB in PP?

Thanks Steve. Spot metering a white bird would need some positive compensation to keep the whites white and with flying subjects getting the metering on target would be tricky. I used evaluative with comp. and gimped the histogram for over exposure. You're right about the WB had to sort it in PP to avoid C casts. My query was really aimed at the conditions and was it worth taking images with such light skys. Thanks for your thoughts - apprieciated!

Back