MediaCityUK (Salford Quays) - Which do you prefer?

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
No
On New Years Day 2012 I visited Salford Quays and took this shot of MediaCityUK:

Media City By Night by Daniel Cadden Photo, on Flickr

Today I popped back there and whilst teaching one of my clients how to take a panorama, I took this:

Media City Panorama by Daniel Cadden Photo, on Flickr

The latter is actually shot at dusk.
I'm wondering which you prefer and why?

For info, the new bit of construction that appears on the left hand side of the second photo is for ITV.

I personally like them both, but #1 is the fave for me though that may just be because I prefer night shots to day shots!

I prefer the first one. The second one looks a bit under exposed and to me would benefit from a more interesting sky.

Dave, click on them!
I'd have said #2 is deliberately overexposed, which is reflected in it's histogram which has very few tonal values on the dark side and some clipped highlights. It was taken after sunset, hence you can see the reflections of all the light sources in the water. The intent was for something more tranquil... there are lots of Salford Quays photos around with moody skies.

I prefer the second - it almost looks like a sketch than a photo - i guess as you said the low tonal on the dark side being the reason. I tend to go quite aggressive with my B&W to get gritty contrasty images, but quite like this conversion.

Definately number two for me, just seems to offer a bit more of interest.

Back