Medicine Man in Vietnam

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
Hi all, I have recently returned from a trip in Vietnam and I thought I would share some of my personal work from that trip.

We made a long drive out to a remote village in the Tinh Quang Nam district to meet a medicine man whose family have been practising Chinese herbal medicine for over 200 years. The skills of the trade are passed from father to son over a training period of 30 years!

He was a wonderful man whose wisdom was almost intoxicating when we spoke to him. He was happy for me to photograph him whilst he was preparing medicines for the community, and amazingly, I was the first westerner that had been in the village so there was quite a turn out after I arrived!

Here are some of my favourites:

View attachment 12673

View attachment 12674

View attachment 12675

View attachment 12676

View attachment 12677

Let me know what you think :)

As always James, in awe of your travels and that must have been a great experience.
It's not got the usual pop of your processing, hasn't got the impact of previous work, but a great study of an interesting character.

Thanks for the background stuff as we'll.

As always James, in awe of your travels and that must have been a great experience.
It's not got the usual pop of your processing, hasn't got the impact of previous work, but a great study of an interesting character.

Thanks for the background stuff as we'll.

Cheers mate, and you are absolutely correct in your assessment there, I simply had no time to prepare for anything so I haven't come away with much personal stuff that I am totally happy with as I generally need to immerse myself in a culture for days (or weeks) to get the shots I normally am happy with. But, for a quick hit and run job, i'm pretty happy :)

Its interesting to see that you can see it though, and I appreciate the honesty ;)

I love your stuff James, if you remember I came to your presentation in Hereford/Worcester?, which seems years ago :)

Keep up the work chap, love it. Love the depth of field in #1 and you do get to amazing locations. So jealous :)

Last edited:
I do indeed remember :) That was a really nice day actually, I had a good time :D

Thanks to the kind words bud, and yes, I am rather lucky to get to places like this on a regular basis, one of the perks of the job I guess ;)

Excellent stuff as always James. That third one for me is really an excellent portrait.

Good set, tells a story and the processing/final result fits the subject well IMO ... dark and somewhat gritty, like the medicine he is dispensing I think :)

Really nice set mate! may i ask what sort of presets you use as i really like the way these look?

Back