medium format advice

Name
paul
Edit My Images
Yes
So I already have two folders, with zone/guessing distance focusing... and about 25 rolls of 120 film (velvia mostly), so im looking for something i can properly focus, and with good glass. also Im very tactile, so I want something thats enjoyable to use.

I think my typical use would be landscape/nature, general stuff, and portraity or snaps of friends, pets etc.

budget probably sub £200
on the low end theres TLR's, kiev's and pentacons, plus folders
next step up to over £100 theres bronica's and mamiya's

so what would you guys recommend?

One thing to consider is if you are going to do home scanning or printing B/W in the darkroom....a 6X7cm neg is better than 6X4.5cm. If you've ever done 35mm printing you'll know what I mean.....tiny dust spots on the negs get annoyingly magnified doing a 8x10 print and in the old days was a PITA to touch up.

I'd pick a format (6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7) first and make your choice from there. And whether you'd like interchangeable lenses - the selling point of many of the cameras you mention is the ability to change lenses, albeit it slightly pointless if you just want one.

I'd pick a format (6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7) first and make your choice from there. And whether you'd like interchangeable lenses - the selling point of many of the cameras you mention is the ability to change lenses, albeit it slightly pointless if you just want one.

..and the other problem is:- while plenty of us can give advice on 35mm cameras as most of have owned many, with MF we can only mention the few that we have owned, which might not be the best. I'm happy with the RB67 and Etrs as it suits me....the Rollei SL66 and Tele Rollie I once owned, I sold because the 6X6 was not for me (and for other reasons).......yet members here love their 6X6 cameras.

Such is always going to be the nature (and the caveat) of asking for opinions on an Internet forum, but that's no different from how a dealer would treat it, or a Google search.

1 so im looking for something i can properly focus,
2 with good glass.
3. Im very tactile, so I want something thats enjoyable to use.

I think my typical use would be landscape/nature, general stuff, and portraity or snaps of friends, pets etc.

4 budget probably sub £200

so what would you guys recommend?

I have used all sorts of MF, folders, hassy, Bronica , tlr, pentax, mamiya6. Have settled on rf mamiya 6 and a yashica 124g.

First you need to. decide which format of MF you want

My view, square is the most interesting, because its something diff to 35mm format.

Next lets look at your criteria. We will ignore no 3, since that's subjective.

No2. Most MF have decent glass. The best ones are mostly out of your price bracket. So we will look at all available within your price range.

No1 rules out most but not all folders. The folders with focussing are Ikonta, their Russian copy. Moskva and Mamiya six ( not 6). All good, but only Moskva could be within your price range.

Almost all Tlrs fit your criteria. Only the rollei flex out of your price range, the other rollei are within price range.

These are all square formats.

For other formats within your price range, you have to look at slrs. Bronica will be the best fit, but possible slightly more expensive.

If I were you I would go upto 300 gbp. After all, the real cost will be in films and development. I would rather get a better camera to start with.

Finally, if you buy carefully, you will not lose much when it comes to selling.

Ujjwal

Last edited:
there was a bronica setup i forgot to bid on, camera, lens 3 plus a meddly of accessories... £195!
bronica and mamiya might be possible if i get lucky

hassy is more than i can afford, for sure :(

there was a bronica setup i forgot to bid on, camera, lens 3 plus a meddly of accessories... £195!
bronica and mamiya might be possible if i get lucky

hassy is more than i can afford, for sure :(

Not sure if forum rules allow me to post links or name traders, but i just noticed a mamiya 645j for 179 quids from a trader i have bought many cameras from. If bigyin confirms its ok, i can post the link

as long as it's not "honest Ujjwal's Used Camera Shop" it'll be fine mate ;)

Thats gone out of business since i came to Portugal, buddy. Too much hassle posting.

It mwclassic. Call them and have a chat with mahendra or david. A bit but not much negotiation is possible.

:)
thinking about it abit, I might go square, or 6x7, make it different from my 35mm stuff and digi cam

If you don't mind a folder the Ross Ensigns agree a very good option and you get a brilliant lens for your money. Have a look at the 12-20, I used one for a while and it was a fabulous camera, lovely 6 x 6 nets and the lenses were considered in the top rank. I only solid mine because I am colour blind and could not easily see through the red window to tell whether I'd wound on far enough.
They can be had for less than your budget in minty condition.

Andy

is that a autorange range finder one? :) if so how good is the range finder bit?

If you are patient you could wait till a certain well known dealer has one of his half price sales I got my Mamiya 645 1000s with AE prism and 2.8n that way for 110 .

Or if you get lucky some times the Super Ikonta's go for reasonable prices I paid 150 for a near enough mint Super Ikonta IV 534/16 which is very useable as it has a range finder and meter the one caveat is the need to stick a bit of gafer tape on the leader of the backing paper .

Back