Medium Format, Mamiya RB67 film will not advance

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently bought an RB67 Pro S with a Pro S back. Winding the film on the first night out seemed a bit intermitant and I took 4 images.
Second day 3 more shots with no problem then a struggle to get it to wind on befor taking another so the counter is at 8 with the red mark and it will not do anything more.
Trying to wind on when the lever gets to the 70* position it gives a slight click but that is all.
With the back removed and the blanking plate in it's just the same, even using the small forward to end of film lever moved to the left, nothing. Just the slight click.
Can anyone help?

I've just had this exact problem so chiming in, but watching for when someone with more nouse than me comes along...

The Internet seems to think that the backs on these cameras aren't "built like a tank" like the body - especially the winding mechanism. I was flipping mine like a 35mm winder which (apparently) is a cause for breaking them. Also, bouncing it around on a panier did it no good.

So...

- Are you using the right film in the right back? i.e. 120 film in a 120 back. The back should have a marking of 120 (black) or 220 (red) on it and you should use the correct film inside. I think the issues come from putting 120 film through (cheaper and more common) 220 backs rather than the other way around. Because 220 has no paper, it's a thinner gap and therefore when you "force" 120 through it, it puts pressure on the winder.

- Have you been flipping the winder like a 35mm camera?

Either way, if the film advance lever doesn't work you're kinda stuck. You'll probably need to pop the back off and get the film out (try it in complete darkness if you want to salvage the film) then see what it's like with no film in. It should freely advance. If it doesn't... Well, I got adventurous with mine and downloaded the RB67 repair manual. When I took the top off the cassette a bit of plastic fell out. If you feel up to it the repair manual is here: http://athiril.blogspot.com/2010/07/mamiya-rb67-pros-repair-manual-and.html

I have had a case where the winder got stuck because I forgot to completely remove the small tape you have to pick off when you crack a fresh film. It got caught up in spooler and made a hella mess.

I've since ordered a couple more backs and one of them had to go back because it wouldn't wind on... Not tested.... I've been quoted £50 for a repair exc parts - and there's no guarantees. I'll probably sell it on eBay spares/repair. There are a few backs on eBay at the moment, but they are 220 backs and titles as 120 backs. Check the photo to make sure it's a 120 back to be safe.

Anyway - shutting up now...

I've just had this exact problem so chiming in, but watching for when someone with more nouse than me comes along...

The Internet seems to think that the backs on these cameras aren't "built like a tank" like the body - especially the winding mechanism. I was flipping mine like a 35mm winder which (apparently) is a cause for breaking them. Also, bouncing it around on a panier did it no good.

So...

- Are you using the right film in the right back? i.e. 120 film in a 120 back. The back should have a marking of 120 (black) or 220 (red) on it and you should use the correct film inside. I think the issues come from putting 120 film through (cheaper and more common) 220 backs rather than the other way around. Because 220 has no paper, it's a thinner gap and therefore when you "force" 120 through it, it puts pressure on the winder.

- Have you been flipping the winder like a 35mm camera?

Either way, if the film advance lever doesn't work you're kinda stuck. You'll probably need to pop the back off and get the film out (try it in complete darkness if you want to salvage the film) then see what it's like with no film in. It should freely advance. If it doesn't... Well, I got adventurous with mine and downloaded the RB67 repair manual. When I took the top off the cassette a bit of plastic fell out. If you feel up to it the repair manual is here: http://athiril.blogspot.com/2010/07/mamiya-rb67-pros-repair-manual-and.html

I have had a case where the winder got stuck because I forgot to completely remove the small tape you have to pick off when you crack a fresh film. It got caught up in spooler and made a hella mess.

I've since ordered a couple more backs and one of them had to go back because it wouldn't wind on... Not tested.... I've been quoted £50 for a repair exc parts - and there's no guarantees. I'll probably sell it on eBay spares/repair. There are a few backs on eBay at the moment, but they are 220 backs and titles as 120 backs. Check the photo to make sure it's a 120 back to be safe.

Anyway - shutting up now...

Cheers, I'm not alone :) Thanks for the input.
It is a 120 back with 120 film, when it worked it was quite stiff compared to 35mil
I have let the lever flick back but probably more hoping the jolt will do something :)
The release pin is working ok and the counter one seems to be flicking out which i assume is as it should.
I've already been thinking of trying to get the film through in the dark, could be fun.
I only bought it last week online and the seller has a 220 back he is sending so I'll see if it's the back or body then,, or not LOL

Good luck :)

Back