Medium format musings

Why medium format? Having read Brian's post (37 above) it did make me wonder what the purpose was. I went to medium format because not only were the prints better, but they were easier to produce since I didn't have to worry as much about enlargement. This was in the days before digital and I was using a darkroom for printing. It was/is the same consideration that moved me up to large format. If it weren't for the "large image" aspect, medium format only offers two advantages to 35mm that I can see:

1. You can get movements (with the appropriate Rollei or a TS adapter on a Mamiya RZ67). Ruled out in this case I think by size and weight.
2. Bigger, easier to use viewfinder. Ruled out if you don't go SLR/TLR.

The larger format means in general longer focal length lenses with depth of field consequences. Is this a plus or minus point?

So far, no one seems to have mentioned folding cameras. Small and light, are they worth considering?

Why medium format? Having read Brian's post (37 above) it did make me wonder what the purpose was. I went to medium format because not only were the prints better, but they were easier to produce since I didn't have to worry as much about enlargement. This was in the days before digital and I was using a darkroom for printing. It was/is the same consideration that moved me up to large format. If it weren't for the "large image" aspect, medium format only offers two advantages to 35mm that I can see:

1. You can get movements (with the appropriate Rollei or a TS adapter on a Mamiya RZ67). Ruled out in this case I think by size and weight.
2. Bigger, easier to use viewfinder. Ruled out if you don't go SLR/TLR.

The larger format means in general longer focal length lenses with depth of field consequences. Is this a plus or minus point?

So far, no one seems to have mentioned folding cameras. Small and light, are they worth considering?

Personally, medium format gives a completely different set of results to 35mm, as a full frame digital sensor does in comparison to M4/3 for example. The much shallower depth of field is the most obvious difference along with the (generally!) higher quality results from comparative priced kit.

I do agree with the larger viewfinder too.

Thanks everyone for your information, reviews and opinions. Thanks to Nick's kind offer, I'll be able to have a play with the one of the Fuji's without having to spend a fortune first! I may hate it but on the other hand I may not want to give it back! :D

I don't think there is anything that can compete with a Fuji GS645S for the same price. You could go with a high quality Zeiss folder, but you will lose the meter and potentially run into all the problems of using old folders (leaky bellows, slow shutters etc.) You could go with a Bronica RF645, but they are roughly twice the price of the Fuji and have their own reliability issues (electronics). Personally I'd go with a GS645S or GS645W in close to mint condition from one of the Japanese sellers on eBay. Igor also has one in stock: http://www.igorcamera.com/medium_format.htm

I don't think there is anything that can compete with a Fuji GS645S for the same price. You could go with a high quality Zeiss folder, but you will lose the meter and potentially run into all the problems of using old folders (leaky bellows, slow shutters etc.) You could go with a Bronica RF645, but they are roughly twice the price of the Fuji and have their own reliability issues (electronics). Personally I'd go with a GS645S or GS645W in close to mint condition from one of the Japanese sellers on eBay. Igor also has one in stock: http://www.igorcamera.com/medium_format.htm

Those are a very good price, interesting site, I've not seen that one before.

Personally, medium format gives a completely different set of results to 35mm, as a full frame digital sensor does in comparison to M4/3 for example. The much shallower depth of field is the most obvious difference along with the (generally!) higher quality results from comparative priced kit.

I do agree with the larger viewfinder too.
Actually a 50mm f1,4 on 24x36 shows less debth of field than a 75mm f3,5 on 645. The rendering of the oof areas may be different though

Those are a very good price, interesting site, I've not seen that one before.

Igor is great. Well known in the US as a Leica dealer, but obviously stocks all sorts of equipment. I bought my Hasselblad from him and he was easy and pleasant to deal with by email. The camera was at least as good as advertised and packaged extremely well.

Wasn't shocking pink invented to stop that sort of thing? :D

Once... just once I bought the same waterproof, in a different colour. Well twice. :D

Actually a 50mm f1,4 on 24x36 shows less debth of field than a 75mm f3,5 on 645. The rendering of the oof areas may be different though

H'mm how many people use a 50mm f1.4 (or f1.2) wide open for general photography. The only 35mm camera I have that can handle a shutter speed with the lens at f1.4 on a sunny day is the F90x.....

H'mm how many people use a 50mm f1.4 (or f1.2) wide open for general photography. The only 35mm camera I have that can handle a shutter speed with the lens at f1.4 on a sunny day is the F90x.....
Well limited dof is one of the mantras thrown at you for choosing fullframe, using the 50mm and 85mm wide open for e.g portraits. Just to say the argument of same f/number midway on the scale really is meaningless. Choose a smaller aperture and a corresponding slower shutterspeed or faster film or vise versa.

Well limited dof is one of the mantras thrown at you for choosing fullframe, using the 50mm and 85mm wide open for e.g portraits. Just to say the argument of same f/number midway on the scale really is meaningless. Choose a smaller aperture and a corresponding slower shutterspeed or faster film or vise versa.

......a better point\suggestion would be to use a 35mm camera with f1.4 lens rather than a 645 camera with 75mm f2.8\f3.5 if taking shots in low natural light if the subject can move (even slightly).

......a better point\suggestion would be to use a 35mm camera with f1.4 lens rather than a 645 camera with 75mm f2.8\f3.5 if taking shots in low natural light if the subject can move (even slightly).

.....or get a tripod. :whistle:

I know that in f&c threads can go a bit 'off topic' but this has nothing at all to do with my original question (which, thankfully has been answered at least in part) about Fuji 645 cameras; so, thank you and goodnight. :lock:

I've used my Canon 55mm f/1.2 wide open... It works really well wide open, as it happens.

Just to slip in a bit that's on topic (and hope no one notices :D) I would suggest handling any camera before buying. Medium format cameras are more different between themselves than 35mm are, and the handling could be enough to prevent purchase. That's how I came home with a Mamiya RB67 instead of the Hasselblad 500CM I expected.

.....or get a tripod. :whistle:

I know that in f&c threads can go a bit 'off topic' but this has nothing at all to do with my original question (which, thankfully has been answered at least in part) about Fuji 645 cameras; so, thank you and goodnight. :lock:

...but it's all been sorted way back in that Nick is going to lend Mrs snap his Fuji to see if she likes it ;)

Last edited:
Once... just once I bought the same waterproof, in a different colour. Well twice. :D
If it's in a different colour then I'm struggling to see the 'Howard and Hilda' in that, I think Mrs Snap's claims might be unfounded here... Oh, wait a minute... tell me you didn't go for the shocking pink, Andy? :eek:

If it's in a different colour then I'm struggling to see the 'Howard and Hilda' in that, I think Mrs Snap's claims might be unfounded here... Oh, wait a minute... tell me you didn't go for the shocking pink, Andy? :eek:

:whistle:

Back