Medium Format portraits.

I like these - No1 particularly, although I'm not too gripped with the purplish cast, which is probably an issue from the film, or the scan. This edit is just with the wb adjusted to 6500K (daylight).

5287961096_842659c8cf_o.jpg

Whether we like it or not, when we scan a film image, we're then dealing with a digital image, which suits me just fine as we're getting all the advantages of the larger format and the convenience of digital in the processing.

It's easy to fall in love with MF innit? :cool:

Thanks CT, thats a good edit (y)

And yes it so is, I just wish it was a little bit of a simpler process.

I've noticed looking at a lot of commercial portfolios are medium or large format. At a magnum seminar recently a lot of the work shown was MF, I think people are starting to appreciate the quality a lot more now.

Thanks CT, thats a good edit (y)

And yes it so is, I just wish it was a little bit of a simpler process.

Well I can't argue with that, the whole process of setting up for a MF shot is a bit of a ritual, although that's part of the satisfaction I think - when you finally press that shutter it's the climax of quite a leisurely process.

The biggest problem with MF is you can't drop the negs into your local camera shop any longer for a same day turnaround, so if you're going to be doing a lot of it you need to be doing your own developing unless you're prepared to wait a couple of weeks for your prints.

I've noticed looking at a lot of commercial portfolios are medium or large format. At a magnum seminar recently a lot of the work shown was MF, I think people are starting to appreciate the quality a lot more now.

There's definitely a resurgence of interest in film generally, and it's starting to be reflected in the prices of nice gear firming up now. There are still bargains to be had in MF kit, but the price of nice kit is inevitably starting to head Northwards.

Well I can't argue with that, the whole process of setting up for a MF shot is a bit of a ritual, although that's part of the satisfaction I think - when you finally press that shutter it's the climax of quite a leisurely process.

The biggest problem with MF is you can't drop the negs into your local camera shop any longer for a same day turnaround, so if you're going to be doing a lot of it you need to be doing your own developing unless you're prepared to wait a couple of weeks for your prints.

I love all the set up I think, its just scanning is a nightmare and yes developing. Although (and I'll probably get lynched for this) Snappy Snaps do dev in one hour and are generally quite great about it. But the scanning is soul destroying stuff!

Snappy Snaps dev MF? Well I didn't know that.

I love all the set up I think, its just scanning is a nightmare and yes developing. Although (and I'll probably get lynched for this) Snappy Snaps do dev in one hour and are generally quite great about it. But the scanning is soul destroying stuff!

LOL. Jessops do a 1 hour turn around on 35mm film. The prints aren't very impressive to say the least, but the negs are usually OK and it's handy when you can't be arsed to do it yourself.

A really good scanner makes all the difference. I have an Epson V700 and I actually love using it - it produces great scans without any help from me. :D

My nearest is Coventry (24 miles), think I might pass on that one;)

my nearest is 2 blocks away and they can do same day ! :LOL:

but then again - I don't do a lot of MF :(

I will, I will, I will - I promise !!!

I've just purchased a Hasselblad 500 c/m and have the film loaded. Ready to go out this evening and test the monster out. As I'm totally new to film, I'll be spending a lot of time trawling the forums to find out how to develop the film (where and how) either for scanning or to find someone who can show me around a darkroom! Any takers?

Nice shots, medium format film has such a gorgeous tonality to it, and the larger you go, the lenses seem to contribute to an added sense of dimension that's difficult to describe. I'm now half way through my first roll on my new RZ67, I'm being all precious over what I shoot with it. Though knowing my luck it'll have a light leak and the whole film will be screwed lol.

Back