Beginner Megapixes vs/and Sensor size

Well, pixels are tiny segments of a screen/sensor. The amount of them on a screen or sensor is measured in megapixels.
Sensor size is a literal measurement of the sensor, the two figures are unrelated.
Having the same number of pixels on a larger sensor means they are less susceptable to interference/digital noise, which is why full frame cameras have a better high iso noise performance.

What made it work for me is the fact that a sensor catches photons, and they're actual physical objects (think marbles in a jar). A tiny photosite (pixel) will fill up quickly, whereas a larger photosite will:

Start filling sooner (so there'll be detail in dark areas)

Have more graduations (greater dynamic range)

Won't overflow as quickly (greater highlight detail, less clipping)

Hope that helps.

I use a Nikon D3s for most of my work stuff. It's "only" got 12 megapixels (I think.) Half what some other full frame cameras have. But I like to think of them as being big, fat, juicy pixels that soak up lots of light, and since I spend most of my time in low light conditions
that's just what I want. :)

What made it work for me is the fact that a sensor catches photons, and they're actual physical objects (think marbles in a jar).
Well, if we were to be picky, whether they're physical objects or not is extremely debatable. But they do come as indivisible entities (whatever they are), which is why you can think of them like marbles in a jar.

Back