MEH!

Name
You can call me Sir.
Edit My Images
Yes
Have I told you lately how much I detest scanning photos? I've just got back from 2.5 weeks work in Spain to find 5 rolls of Neopan400 from the holiday the week before I went away need scanning.

If I could make a decent contact print and had the energy to set the darkroom up I'd check them out that way but as I can't make a decent contact print and don't have the energy I'm busy having the soul sucked from my life by an Epson 4490.

Meh.:crying::crying:

Have I told you lately how much I detest scanning photos? I've just got back from 2.5 weeks work in Spain to find 5 rolls of Neopan400 from the holiday the week before I went away need scanning.

If I could make a decent contact print and had the energy to set the darkroom up I'd check them out that way but as I can't make a decent contact print and don't have the energy I'm busy having the soul sucked from my life by an Epson 4490.

Meh.:crying::crying:

Totally agree. My HP scanjet works after a fashion but is slow and limited. I have no inclination to invest in the hardware or software to speed things up, nor the post production skills to get really slick at it. I know someone who has and it's taken him years to acquire, he spends 18 hours a day in a room and he charges West End agencies a small fortune for them.

By comparison darkroom skills, if you have the space, are a doddle.

Just to compound matter it appears my scanner has a fault. there is a darkish line running down one side of every frame I've scanned. 110% not a scratch on the negatives so must be a scanner fault. No point wasting time scanning at 2400dpi any more is there. Might as well just scan at 800 for a reasonable preview and save myself the time and effort.

I can't even begin to guess how to make archive or gallery prints on digital. Someone here is bound to know but none of mine get past the proof quality stage.

Don't get me wrong, scanning and scans are poop, but I do remember using a flat bed and I can honestly say the Minolta I use now kinda softens the blow, it takes certain imponderables out of the equation and makes scanning almost bearable.
It just does one at a time @ 6x6, its always sharp if the neg is, there are very few colour issues, there are no film holder issues, there are no artefacts other than what is on the neg.
Its still slow and noisy but very consistent.

Just to compound matter it appears my scanner has a fault. there is a darkish line running down one side of every frame I've scanned. 110% not a scratch on the negatives so must be a scanner fault. No point wasting time scanning at 2400dpi any more is there. Might as well just scan at 800 for a reasonable preview and save myself the time and effort.

I have the same scanner. Make sure the film is at least 1cm from the end of the scanning glass (the side where the scanner hinge is). If you are using the black tray and thing there is something wrong with the glass/bulb where it scans the film, try to blutack the film straight onto the glass without the tray in a slightly different position (and turn off 'thumbnail' in the dialogue box)

Not sure if it will help; just throwing some possible solutions your way.

Is it not times like this that it'd be worth investing in a digital camera? I know that you obviously prefer film and respect that, but just for times when you can't be bothered to process and scan? Doesn't even have to be a DSLR (though your lenses may work on the DSLR) you can get bridge cameras fairly cheap.

I think Kev shoots a Minolta 5D when he isn't shooting film, if he's anything like me then that would be pretty much never these days...:LOL:

I can only think of a hand full of members that don't shoot digital at all.

You have to love these year zero types who come to educate us all on the merits of digital. 'Film is dead dude, get with the programme'. Except it isn't and we don't want to! (all the time)

219916864v11_350x350_Front_Color-White.jpg

Is it not times like this that it'd be worth investing in a digital camera? I know that you obviously prefer film and respect that, but just for times when you can't be bothered to process and scan? Doesn't even have to be a DSLR (though your lenses may work on the DSLR) you can get bridge cameras fairly cheap.

I've got two compacts (well, one's the wife's I suppose), two DSLRs and lets not forget the cameras on my two mobile phones. Shooting film is as much about the process as it is the end result for me Nattelie which is why I don't shoot digital as much as I shoot film. if I just wanted some record shots to share with folk I might use a digital camera but I like printing from negatives which means using the digital camera instead would leave me with nothing to print from in the darkroom.

It's very rarely I scan my film, the only reason I was doing it is because I was after some tips from the folk on here about how to improve. In general I'd rather make prints in my darkroom which means I have none of these scanner/computer/digital related issues. Instead I have a whole different bunch of issues but ones that don't leave me feeling so dead inside;) If I want to share the prints I can scan them if they're small enough (except I tend to print big so can't scan them) which is infinately easier than scanning negatives.

I have the same scanner. Make sure the film is at least 1cm from the end of the scanning glass (the side where the scanner hinge is). If you are using the black tray and thing there is something wrong with the glass/bulb where it scans the film, try to blutack the film straight onto the glass without the tray in a slightly different position (and turn off 'thumbnail' in the dialogue box)

Not sure if it will help; just throwing some possible solutions your way.

Cheers Rick, I might give it a try later if I can muster the enthusiasm;) I found a thread on Flickr of people having the same problem, some of them think it's a problem with the calibration holes on the plastic tray, some a software problem, others think it's dust on the scan head.

I think Kev shoots a Minolta 5D when he isn't shooting film, if he's anything like me then that would be pretty much never these days...:LOL:

I can only think of a hand full of members that don't shoot digital at all.

Don't you know, I upgraded the 5D to an A700. That gets just as little use too.

Gotta get me one of them some time.

Just noticed its a womens top :LOL::confused::confused:

Bry

I've got tits so I'd probably look alright in it.

:LOL::LOL:

Back