Meike LED Macro Ring Flash FC100

Name
martin
Edit My Images
Yes
My brother has just purchased himself a Tokina 100mm macro lens and is looking for a flash unit to use with it. He asked me if I thought the Meike FC100 would be suitable to use with the lens. He did say that the FC100 is optimized for 50mm so not sure if it would be suitable.
I'm not sure as I've never used a ring flash, so said that I would ask on here. Hopefully someone on here more knowledgeable than me will be able to help.

My brother has just purchased himself a Tokina 100mm macro lens and is looking for a flash unit to use with it. He asked me if I thought the Meike FC100 would be suitable to use with the lens. He did say that the FC100 is optimized for 50mm so not sure if it would be suitable.
I'm not sure as I've never used a ring flash, so said that I would ask on here. Hopefully someone on here more knowledgeable than me will be able to help.

This unit Martin will work with the 100mm lens OK, That's the good news.(y)

The not so good news is I'm sure you're aware that the Meike FC100 is only an LED type ring flash and although these can give a reasonably even light they are not in real terms very bright and do not stop movement very well. You don't say what sort of things your brother wants to take pictures of, if it's non moving things such as flowers etc (not in the wind) then the FC100 will probably suffice providing the camera is supported on a tripod etc.

If your brother wants to take pictures of moving things ie insects/bugs etc (which can move very quickly) then he would be much better of with a proper electronic type ring flash as these will stop the movement on most things quite effectively. The Meike MK-14EXT is a very good unit and very reasonably priced compared to other manufacturers units. As it's more powerful than the LED type lights it enables shooting with a smaller aperture which will be needed for Macro photography because DOF is very limited at these close focusing distances.

Either of these units will want some extra diffusion added to them to get really nicely lit shots and this will also cut down the light output quite a bit so my advice to you would get your brother to go for the proper electronic unit. It will be well worth spending the extra bit of money on. Incidentally the Tokina 100mm macro lens is capable of some stunning results when used properly.

Hope this helps.,

George.

he should get 2 or so stops of light with a led ring in my expericance
flash gives alot more and freezes motion, ring led light and off camera flash works well

Back