Mellow Yellow, Lockdown Anthotypes

dmb

Edit My Images
No
Something different to try during lockdown.

Have had a go at Lumen Prints and will try some more. Pulled out some old cyanotype paper to find it was already dark blue :(.

Looked around online and found some references to Anthotypes. Using plant juices to create images by the bleaching effect of being exposed to UV. One in particular piqued my interest as it used a reaction that I recall using in the laboratory to fix the image which most other anthotype methods cannot do.

It uses the chemical curcumin, which is the yellow stuff in turmeric, which I have on my spice rack. You extract the curcumin from the turmeric using methylated spirits and coat paper with the liquid and allow to dry in the dark or dim light. Expose with objects or a positive image to light, full sun best as need blue to UV end of spectrum . Where light hits the yellow goes paler and where shaded remains unchanged. To get a better contrast after exposure and to prevent the colour fading you need to treat it with a borax solution , this creates an orange complex that is not light sensitive. This colour change is the one I used to use to measure boron compound concentrations. Borax used to be easy to get hold of for use in laundry but concerns over possible effects on reproduction (studies still ongoing) have resulted in it it vanishing from EU market as alternatives for laundry purposes are in fact cheaper for the manufacturer. I will source some borax to test the full method but in the short term a solution of washing soda or even bicarbonate of soda will produce a darker colour but will not be as permanent.

This was today's results

2020-05-24 224543.jpg

For a reference to method see https://www.researchgate.net/public...ric_and_borax_An_introduction_to_photophysics

I have to admire this. I've watched a couple of cyanotype videos and the whole thing just seems like a lot of effort.

Hats off!

I have to admire this. I've watched a couple of cyanotype videos and the whole thing just seems like a lot of effort.

Hats off!
Well, I don't know that it's that much of an effort. A cyanotype is cooking outside as I type this... these anthotypes are a bit beyond m, though.

It's all about having fun!

This morning's anthotype test. Has taken a while to find the best paper and coating method, this should have had more solution to coat but looks OK.

Used 4ml to coat an A4 sheet of cheapest glossy inkjet photo paper with a foam brush, this is a quarter of the sheet. The paper sucks up the meths like billy-oh!

Semi 'fixed' this curcumin print with sodium carbonate as still waiting on my borax delivery, welding flux being an acceptable use under REACH at a reasonable price as opposed to the Del Boys selling small packets on ebay to anyone for making 'Slime' which is most certainly not an approved use.

1 hour exposure in full morning sun.

IMG_20200528_091340s.jpg

Last edited:
We have borax! Interpositive of a scan of one of my film photos. Put through deep red filter on Photoshop and levels adjusted to give high contrast and printed on thin plotter paper using photo settings. Placed face to face on curcumin paper and exposed to full sun for 4 hours.

Sprayed with saturated borax solution, pennies on corners to keep it flat.
Screenshot_20200529-122725~2.jpg

This is really good, David. The compositions are getting more adventurous!

If curcumin (turmeric) paper is the Delta 3200 of anthotypes then pomegranate juice paper is the Pan F! Took about two and a half weeks of sun and sitting in the greenhouse to get this,

2020-06-19-0001s.jpg

Back