Member's Websites

Name
Lynda
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry if this has been done before or if it is in the wrong section.

Is there a place on the forum where members can list their website links so that they're all in one place?

If there has already been a thread, could someone direct me to it please, if not, would people mind tagging them onto this thread and possibly state the method by which the site is hosted (unless stated on the site)

Just to clarify, I'm trying to decide which route to go down with regards to websites, best value for money, ease of use etc and while there are thousands of sites to look at on the web i thought it would be good to start with familiar(ish) names :)

I started looking into this about a month ago, have almost worked my way through the brilliant post by slapo and my head is in bits.

Big thanks in advance.

Lynda

(PS out for an hour or so so sorry if I don't reply straight away)

http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/lewiscraik is mine (I need to get lewiscraik.co.uk pointed to it, but that is a job for tomorrow) it's using Photoshelter, a bit pricey but for all the integratedness it seems worth it.

http://www.fit2frame.co.uk .. privately hosted and using Pixelpost (free). Easy to setup and modify the numerous free templates available with a variety of free configurable addons.
Requirements for use .. * PHP 4.3 or greater (w/ GD-lib) * MySQL 3.23.58 or greater

The template I use is the included 'Horizon' template (in the gallery, click on 'comments' to see what it does)

HTH

Ok, thanks everyone, appreciate your time.

Any more?

I've been looking at other threads around the subject too and the pointers for the complete novice who want their own domain name seem to be in the direction of either Photium for the full all in package or a private host then using either Pixelpost or Wordpress.

Any disputes

Mine will be online soon. :) (It's not online at the moment). I'm choosing between Joomla! and Jaws probably, possibly dotclear or pixelpost.

www.jazsavagephotography.co.uk

I saw you looked at Slapo's post - very useful it is.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks. :)

Mine will be online soon. :) (It's not online at the moment). I'm choosing between Joomla! and Jaws probably, possibly dotclear or pixelpost.

www.jazsavagephotography.co.uk

I saw you looked at Slapo's post - very useful it is.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks. :)

May be you wanna stick a temp landing page like "www.jazsavagephotography.co.uk coming soon. Watch this space" :)

Just my suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion, good idea - I don't think my domain is active yet though?

Cheers :)

Thanks all, I'm thinking that the Photium option is probably best for a novice like me. Ta to those who answered a previous post of mine re. Mr site too.

The thought process is sometimes quite a long circular route for me.

(y)

Oh, and I'm loving everyone's websites too, so just because I have an answer to my original question, please don't stop posting links.
Hopefully, mine will be there too in a wee while.

Photium all the way for me too.

Tried writing it myself in Dreamweaver, tried Wordpress with a flash front page, tried using my old domain hosts "template" structure.

Ended up spending more time managing the site (spam, updating Wordpress to latest versions of x, y & z) than I did behind the camera. I was never happy with the templates and never really liked the look.

Some people like that kind of flexibility though, so don't dismiss it out of hand.

For me, going to Photium was a revalation. Site customisation doesn't appear to be that flexible at first, but a bit of playing will get you the look you want.

Managing the site just couldn't be easier.

And support. Well, their support has been really really good.

-H

http://www.fit2frame.co.uk .. privately hosted and using Pixelpost (free). Easy to setup and modify the numerous free templates available with a variety of free configurable addons.
Requirements for use .. * PHP 4.3 or greater (w/ GD-lib) * MySQL 3.23.58 or greater

The template I use is the included 'Horizon' template (in the gallery, click on 'comments' to see what it does)

HTH

You do realise your gallery doesn't work?

When I clicked on the Landscape and Architecture I selected a photo opened it and when I pressed "next" the next photo that came up wasn't from the Landscape and Architecture gallery.

When Joomla! has installed with the sample content, does anyone know where to go from there? Shall I just delete all the sample content, or modify it? If so how?

I have been looking around for Joomla! templates. Joomla24 looks like a good site.

Does anyone else have any other recommendation/sites for templates please? :)

I quite like the look of this one.

Any comments appreciated.
Thanks!

Mine is Kerioak.com and is currently Wordpress based with JAlbum for the galleries on Streamlinenet

My very first websites were all written in Word, as if there were html editors at that time I did not know about them - and now with Wordpress I hardly ever need it

I really like the layout on your site!

It is a lot better than mine turned out lol.

My site is www.ultimate-exposure.co.uk

When Joomla! has installed with the sample content, does anyone know where to go from there? Shall I just delete all the sample content, or modify it? If so how?

I have been looking around for Joomla! templates. Joomla24 looks like a good site.

Does anyone else have any other recommendation/sites for templates please? :)

I quite like the look of this one.

Any comments appreciated.
Thanks!

I used Xampp and played offline at first. You could use Artisteer to create a template you like, but it put's trial all over the images used. Not a problem if you replace the images of course...
Or there's plenty of free/very cheap templates. One of the good ones I looked at was 12 euros.

I used Xampp and played offline at first. You could use Artisteer to create a template you like, but it put's trial all over the images used. Not a problem if you replace the images of course...
Or there's plenty of free/very cheap templates. One of the good ones I looked at was 12 euros.

Thanks for your help. Is Xampp easy to install/use? Or is it not needed?

Do you know how to modify a template? Please see:www.jazsavagephotography.co.uk I've only really inserted a template and disabled a few things.

I like this template, however I don't know how to modify the image (it's not mine) and put text next to it (such as welcome) - as you can see it takes up a lot of the page.
Would it be easier just to delete this bit [the image section] and insert a gallery slideshow for the homepage? If so do you know how?

Thanks for your help.

I've looked at the websites posted so far and they look very good, professional and sleek. :)

Nothing too fancy either Photography by Neil McLeland :)

Or, click signature link.

Cheers,

Neil

ps except the sig link seems to have gone ? Oh - its back again ???

Links to my sites are in the footer :)

Main site is Photium, blog is Wordpress. I highly recommend Photium, great service, easy to use and maintain, and new features are regularly added. Also, the templates are very good, and there's plenty of opportunity for feedback (guestbook, comments, etc.) If you can't be bothered to write your own site from scratch (like me) then I can't recommend them enough!

what shopping cart are you using Raymond?

my website is wordpress for the blog and I wrote the other site myself with help from a few people and loads of online tutorials.

Blog

Website

Well, I came upstairs to try to make some headway with my own, but have been sidetracked once again by everyone else's site.
Excellent sites and images and very inspirational too.

Keep them coming please.

Thanks for sharing everyone, now must get back to work... must get back to work...................

Back