Memories

Name
Steve, Coventry, England
Edit My Images
Yes
Going through a box of old photos, looking for slides and came across this print, very bent and creased at the bottom of the box.

lee2.jpg

Taken about '74, only note on the back is FP 800asa, which FP I can't remember, most likely FP4

Nothing special about the photo, but a lot of memories. One day the person who was supposed to back me at a wedding didn't turn up, and she was the only one around who wasn't busy, but had never used any kind of camera before. An in-depth introduction to the Zorki 4K (which lasted 5 minutes at most) and she was on her way. The idea was that she replicated as far as possible the formal shots, and walked around in a different direction to me for informal shots. I had to help her change the first roll of film, otherwise everything was great, and everything in focus!

From then on she always helped me.

But it didn't last very long, She was a passenger in a Ford Corsair that met a 7 ton truck head on at a combined speed of over 100mph. Her youngest brother was driving, home on a weekend pass from national service.
I can't remember who told me (her boyfriend and I were both apprentices at the same Ford dealer, so could have been him), and can't remember being told, strange how the brain can filter memories.
Fortunately I have lots of good memories of that time.

Strangely, the other day I got as friend suggestion from someone who I think is her brother now living in Perth. I can't see any possible way that FB's algorithms could have made a connection between us.

I hadn't opened that box since I packed it in SA 22 years ago, one photo can bring a flood of memories back.

Impactful story, As we age the memories become so lmportint! I miss the film canisters, they were so useful!

Last edited:
Fortunately I have lots of good memories of that time.

Wonderful shot. Really an emotive story. With all the latest tech and gizmos with the new cameras one sometimes tends to forget that a camera makes memories.

It's good that she is remembered.

Back