Memory card help

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I shot a wedding yesterday, and upon backing them up I've noticed that two of my cards have duplicated the file numbers. I can import in small batches and get the option to keep both files (on has a .2 added) but I can't import all at once as I don't get the option to keep both files, only skip, stop or replace. Any idea on a quick way to import all of the files at once?

Thanks,

Are you importing to LR? Can you use a card reader and transfer from the card to the PC?

Not importing to LR yet. This is direct to my back up hard drives from the Mac. I always back up to the hard drives ford for safety them import to LR from them once the back up is complete

Could you rename them in lightroom on import?(that’s if you use lightroom). It seems lightroom checks more than just file name for duplicates. It seems they also compared exif data, capture date and time too.

The worrying point here is how two files got the same name. I always thought it is the camera that sets the file name and not the memory card (but I could be wrong). Do you use two cameras at weddings? Do they have different bespoke file names set in the camera options?

Import them into separate folders, rename where necessary and then merge the 2 folders. Is that an option?

Import them into separate folders, rename where necessary and then merge the 2 folders. Is that an option?
That’s my thinking. Just odd that it’s the first time it’s happened.

Could you rename them in lightroom on import?(that’s if you use lightroom). It seems lightroom checks more than just file name for duplicates. It seems they also compared exif data, capture date and time too.

The worrying point here is how two files got the same name. I always thought it is the camera that sets the file name and not the memory card (but I could be wrong). Do you use two cameras at weddings? Do they have different bespoke file names set in the camera options?

Yeah but my other body is playing up so for this wedding I hired a second body, soI’m guessing the hired body caught up. But, that would be a massive coincidence!

Filemonkey on a pc, not sure if its avail for Mac.(assuming your on a Mac) Let’s you bulk rename file is a heartbeat, very powerful, we use it a lot. For example we shoot garments into a folder, then run the program to rename the file in the folder to the folder name plus a number, saves renaming each and every shot as you shoot.

Filemonkey on a pc, not sure if its avail for Mac.(assuming your on a Mac) Let’s you bulk rename file is a heartbeat, very powerful, we use it a lot. For example we shoot garments into a folder, then run the program to rename the file in the folder to the folder name plus a number, saves renaming each and every shot as you shoot.

sounds good. I’ll check that out this morning

Yeah but my other body is playing up so for this wedding I hired a second body, soI’m guessing the hired body caught up. But, that would be a massive coincidence!
On Nikon and Sony you can rename the start of the file name to something bespoke to you. That could possibly help you in the future. I’ve done this to every camera I’ve had as it helps to see which camera model took an image. You only get to change three letters but that’s enough to make each camera bespoke.

There is also the issue where the file name has only four digits. Once it gets to 9999 it rolls back to 0000. I’m not sure if you haven’t changed to a bespoke name that it alters the starting digits to show it’s on the next 10k. I get around this by getting LR to add the capture date to the file name so I know everyone has a specific file name.

I use Advanced Renamer which is free for personal use. Only does renaming and doesn't have all the other features of FileMonkey but is a very comprehensive program.

Back