Memory card reader

Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning guys, long time since I posted! My old faithful memory card reader has finally given up the ghost. I’m looking to replace it. My old one lasted a long time because it clicked shut protecting the slots so if possible I would like to get similar. What are people using and do you know of any click shut ones available atm?? I have done a search but I just get thousands of brands I’ve never heard of so I don’t know if they are even good?!?

I've had mine for about 10 years (so it may no longer be available) but it has always worked perfectly for both CF and SD cards (it also does MS, M2 and T-F apparently). It is a Uspeed USB 3.0 Reader.

When I used Compact Flash cards I found the risk of pin damage was high so then always left them in the camera and connected the camera to my PC by USB. I only have SD cards now so I do use a small reader. It is just a small Kingston device which plugs directly into a USB socket. I think damaging SD cards is unlikely. If you are buying a new reader for CF make sure that there is a guide at least 2/3 the length of the card to ensure it slots in accurately and thus does not bend any pins.

Dave

I have quite a few card readers dotted about here and there, one of which is a Lexar usb 3.0 see photo
It clicks shut when not in use, it takes sd and cf cards.

51qqUGgmwcL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Last edited:
That’s the one I have/had! Never any issues.

I’ve found the same one but it’s £43. I suppose you get what you pay for.

Blimey! I bought a cheap card reader from Amazon just for micro SD (and SD) to get stuff off the drone easier. Camera I just plug in.

I’ve found the same one but it’s £43. I suppose you get what you pay for.
Just looked on my old Amazon orders, coincidentally got it Dec 2012 for £20.88.
That's inflation for you, just over a 100% increase in ten years.

I have that Lexar one too. Not cheap but decent tools rarely are.

I would just get any old cheap one that is rated USB3.0. (y)

Back