Memory Cards

Name
Laura
Edit My Images
Yes
Wanting to get back up memory cards (CF) for myself and hubby, what brands should we be looking at (or avoiding)?
And what write speed would you advise for an 8mp DSLR?

I only use Sandisk Extreme III cards, AFAIK they're one of the fastest CF cards available. Do be careful though as a lot of ebay buyers seem to report fakes, so probably best to buy from somewhere reputable. Though there do seem to be good deals around, I payed £30 for a 4gb card not long ago (think it was from play.com).

Sandisk Extreme III for me as well. Not the cheapest but the best quality for speed of download & deleting on the fly. Play.com have good deals but definitely avoid ebay - google it & have a scan for good prices. Also worth searching in www.hotukdeals.co.uk - they come up with some really good discounted stuff.

I have a Kingston 1gb one at the mo and I'm finding that OK. Hubby needs one for Saturday, so are there any high street retailers that don't rip you off? I don't have a debit or credit card so can't order online when he gives me a few days notice lol. Men!

I've got a Kingston 8gb & it's just not fast enough - try looking for on-line prices & see if Jessops will price match? By far the best deals are on-line I'm afraid.
Take the opportunity of persuading hubby that now is the time for you to be given plastic!!!

I use 2gb Sandisk Extreme III aswell and they are nice cards £17.99 from Play.com as a comparison I also have an SD card adapter which I use OCZ high speed cards in and its nowhere near as quick as the Extreme cards.

SanDisk are good but (as already mentioned) avoid eBay - most of the SanDisk cards there are fakes. :(

Take a look at www.mymemory.co.uk - they're usually pretty good. :)

If you're in London, 'Yo Yo TEch' on Windmill street do cheap ones, just ask for web checkout price and watch the price drop!

Cheers,
James

Sandisk all the way, try play.com used them for memory a few times, really cheap and the genuine article.

sandisk extreme III 2gb for me too, I have five of them now and they work great. I wouldn't buy anything else. Very good value at play.com for £17.99.

that will teach me to read things PROPERLY! good job i didn't buy it, for some reason all i coudl see on the PLAY.com page was £65, missed the fact it said you save£65! lol

play.com here i come! cheers

edit: nope ive now bought one! cheers peeps!

It depends a lot on your shooting style and wallet.
Also consider the max size that your cam will take (some only do 2GB max).

If you are a slow thinker and take 1, 2 shots then recompose, think,.. etc, almost any card will do you. Expecially if you shoot JPG.

However if you shoot RAW and turn on machine gun mode and hold the shutter then you'll be looking for the fastest card you can get. Since you'll fill up the camera buffer ('pending on camera after 3/5/x shots shooting RAW) then have to wait for it to dump the data to card. This is when a faster card has advantages.

Extreme III or IV are damn fast and cost likewise.

I've a selection of Extreme III and others. A DaneElec 4GB card (cost me £17) is the bigest and slowest. I've a couple of Extreme III 2GB that get used most of the time.

I'm not sure how big a card my cam can take, I think 4gb.
x

I have just recieved a sandisk 2gb from play.com £10.99 and very happy to be able to take more than 9 pics on the settings I require, now I can take 467 :)

quality still good on transfer.

Pat

All the above suggestions are divine as always chicca but if not in rush and wanna have free shipping then do try Play.com but remember they ship from Jersey so you may have a delay in getting them to U...........

Back