Beginner Memory Stick Duo adapter for Sony Cyber Shot camera?

Name
Richard Allen
Edit My Images
No
Above.

I am reliably informed by a Photography expert colleague that I need an adapter for that Sony Cyber Shot camera I bought on eBay last week, for a normal sized SD memory card (up to 2 Gig) to work.

I found one at Argos for £15.99 but it's a memory card reader, would this support being able to take pics on the Cyber Shot and download them to my Chromebox PC (yes, I am aware Chromeboxes suck but I don't have the funds for a proper PC)

Richard, you should cut your losses and reduce the amount of mental gymnastics you're performing over this.

My advice is to bin the camera or give it away or use it as a paper weight and write all this off as an interesting but ultimately pointless money and time wasting exercise.

Richard @MrRichAllen1976

In general I am with @woof woof and his advice above.

Having said that and FWIW.

The Sony Memory Stick was Sony's proprietary answer (at that time) for digital memory cards for their own cameras. But it was superceded by more open standards i.e. CF cards and SD cards.

As far as I can tell the adaptor that you mention is to allow Sony Memory Stick to plug into an SD card port in a computer or a card reader.

As you have a Photography Expert colleague, rather than just buying stuff that may not be suitable perhaps ask him/her to point you to the exact product you need.......not what you at the time think is the correct item.

You mentioned in a previous post that money is short but (and good for you) you are due to start a new job in January.....that all being well will give you an opportunity to save some money to put towards more current camera gear to allow you to learn & expand your cameracraft & photography skills.

All the best.

PS if the card reader you bought is one that at least accepts SD cards and links to a computer by USB, then that should be useful in future.......but just not now?

Last edited:
This will do the job for you, its a memory card and adapter to enable you to plug into a regular SD card slot.
And much cheaper than the solution you have been recomended.

Richard @MrRichAllen1976

In general I am with @woof woof and his advice above.

Having said that and FWIW.

The Sony Memory Stick was Sony's proprietary answer (at that time) for digital memory cards for their own cameras. But it was superceded by more open standards i.e. CF cards and SD cards.

As far as I can tell the adaptor that you mention is to allow Sony Memory Stick to plug into an SD card port in a computer or a card reader.

As you have a Photography Expert colleague, rather than just buying stuff that may not be suitable perhaps ask him/her to point you to the exact product you need.......not what you at the time think is the correct item.

You mentioned in a previous post that money is short but (and good for you) you are due to start a new job in January.....that all being well will give you an opportunity to save some money to put towards more current camera gear to allow you to learn & expand your cameracraft & photography skills.

All the best.

PS if the card reader you bought is one that at least accepts SD cards and links to a computer by USB, then that should be useful in future.......but just not now?
I did ask her, she told me to go to Harrison's camera shop on London Road and ask them, which I'll do after Christmas.

This will do the job for you, its a memory card and adapter to enable you to plug into a regular SD card slot.
And much cheaper than the solution you have been recomended.
Just ordered one of those, thanks for the link.

Saves me the Taxi fares of a trip up to Harrison's and back.

I really can't understand why you're carrying on with this Richard, considering the age of this camera and the potential image quality. I know you said that money is limited but looking at the money you're throwing at this in dribs and drabs I still think you're wasting your time and money as there must be compact cameras out there that'd suit you better.

Anyway. Good luck with this but I do fear you're on the wrong track.

Why don't you just plug the camera to the PC via a USB cable and not buy any adapter that your photography expert colleague may recommend?

Why don't you just plug the camera to the PC via a USB cable and not buy any adapter that your photography expert colleague may recommend?
I think you are missing that transferring is not the problem (not surprising as it’s confusing!) but storage in the camera since it takes Mem Sticks not SD card :(.

I think you are missing that transferring is not the problem (not surprising as it’s confusing!) but storage in the camera since it takes Mem Sticks not SD card :(.

Ahh, my bad. I must have misread with the downloading to Chrome book and card reader bit and went off on a slight tangent :)

If the question is "how do I get the pics from the camera to my computer" I would try the USB cable that should come with the camera first.

If that doesn't work, you'll need an adaptor, either one that accepts the Sony Memory Stick directly or via an adaptor for a more popular memory card format such as CF or SD.

Please remember that there were a number of different cards using the Memory Stick trademark, including at least three different physical sizes.

Given that funds are tight, I would try the first suggestion first. Memory Stick was a bit of a blind alley that Sony persisted with, but few other manufacturers adopted. You're friend is possibly giving inaccurate advice and I would stop spending money on a camera which is a lot more primative than the one you're currently using.

Back