Men and Motors dropped from Freeview

Edit My Images
No
Excuse the copy and paste

http://www.kickme.to/savemm

ITV have officially announced that on 19th April 2006 they will replace Men & Motors with a 24 hour Quiz Channel on Freeview. Men & Motors is a highly valued channel on the Freeview (DTT) platform and to replace it with a channel which will encourage viewers to call a premium rate number to solve a practically impossible puzzle to win a cash prize has angered many. If you feel the same, please sign the petition and/or email the following addresses with your disgust:

dutyoffice@itv.com

So why the big fuss?

Well we already have one 'participation TV' channel as the big networks like to call it on Freeview called Quiz call, in addition to this ITV already show late night quiz programming after 12PM on ITV1 and ITV2 in blocks running up to 5AM. Freeview's limited capacity means it can only hold a limited number of channels, and I personally feel that the Quiz genre of channels should not be eating into general entertainment channels which is what ITV propose to do by removing Men & Motors on the 19th of April. Men & Motors shows classic programming like The Sweeny and Minder as well as crime shows and motor related programming. You can see a men and motors full programming line-up at www.menandmotors.co.uk

It won't do any good, but M&M was one of the only reasons I got freeview in the first place :(

Quiz channels are the latest big money spinner, no way will they pull one to bring back M&M. Not that it bothers me, I hardly ever watched M&M anyway and certainly won't be watching Play.

I only watched Men and Motors when I flicked past and saw a cop program with some scally getting beaten to the ground, which makes me smile....

Anyway, I don't watch the quiz shows either, they're all a con.
However I'll be keeping an eye on ITV Play, because I should be on it :D

Wife and I were in the audience for the filming of the new series of Bullseye, hehe

I heard M&M were closing due to lack of funds but as of yet it's not closed!!!

Internet myths are ace !!!!!!!!!!!

M&M is still alive and well, but on Sky and cable only. It's not the best channel ever but it was far better than some of the other drivel thats on Freeview.

Trouble with sky/freeview/cable is that there's too many channels! none can make money and it gets very boring watching repeat after repeat because that's all they can afford to show. I've pretty much given up watching tv.

now why can't they get rid of M&M from cable too? I wouldn't have to endure endless repeats of Top gear then... :stir:

DJW said:
Come on Cheryl...admit it...you love the channel ;)

Erm....NO. I have a car obsessed boyfriend who thinks Jeremy Clarkson is GOD. My life would be much better without programmes like Top Gear, Overhaulin, American chopper etc... :D

have to admit, stopped watching m&m when it came on freeview, at least when it was on onDigital you got some jubblies.

about the only thing it had worth watching for me (sweeny, proffesionals etc all seem so slow to me now - loved em at the time tho) was the rally but OMG! what have ITV done to the presentation... it's truly skull crushingly baaad.

minimeeze said:
now why can't they get rid of M&M from cable too? I wouldn't have to endure endless repeats of Top gear then... :stir:

OMG! My husband watches the repeats of Top Gear repeatedly!!!

It gets on my NERVES!! I like the program myself....but not non-stop!!! :D

Janice said:
OMG! My husband watches the repeats of Top Gear repeatedly!!!

It gets on my NERVES!! I like the program myself....but not non-stop!!! :D

Yeah...obviously a man thing. The worst thing is, he can have seen the same episode over and over, but acts like it's the first time he's ever seen it - each time - go figure :confused:

orangepeel said:
OMG! what have ITV done to the presentation... it's truly skull crushingly baaad.

i agree that the presentation by the 2 commentators is dreadful, but te footage isnt too bad, it needs more footage though, squashing 3 days of activity into 1 hr ,means loads gets missed out, which is a shame. the virtual spectator thing has its uses when they use it properly (you can see the driving styles of the different drivers etc).

Cheryl,
Top Gear...quality ! :D
Clarkson and Co...still VERY funny, even on the fifth time of watching it. Kay does'nt 'get it' either :confused-
M+M has gone down a bit in quality since it started puttin on mindless quiz shows in the afternoon, but still has one or two progs worth watching.
...but Top Gear :thumb:
Maybe I'll bring my Top Gear DVDs next weekend :stir: :stir:

Back