Mere, Wiltshire

Edit My Images
Yes
Staying there recently, I'd set off to climb the edge of Salisbury Plain with the 100-400L fitted in anticipation of "long distance" landscapery.

My route took me along this winding little path through the village with houses apparently growing right out of a stream: the lens was too long for the distances and space involved and it was hard to get any pictures :bonk: but here's a taster. It'll be even more pretty when stuff starts growing when I shall go back with a more suitable lens.

Note that the OS map is vague about whether this bridleway crosses the busy dual carriageway which bypasses the village - it doesn't:bang: unless you're up for running across four lanes of fast-moving traffic.

400D, 100-400L @ 100mm, ISO 200, 1/180, auto white balance. Colours lifted in Elements. Approximately south-facing on a bright high-cloud day hence blown sky.

IMG_9726_edited-1.jpg

The most interesting parts of the scene are not the main part of the shot.

Just wondering if you could have made more of the stream, bridge and path (and where ever they lead to) and left out the backs of the houses.

The most interesting parts of the scene are not the main part of the shot.

Just wondering if you could have made more of the stream, bridge and path (and where ever they lead to) and left out the backs of the houses.

Ha! I would refer me learned colleague to my earlier remarks when I admitted to having been hoist by my own petard in that I had the most inappropriate lens with me at the time. (Homework: write out 100 times "I must carry the nifty fifty in my pocket at all times"). So winding is this length of about 300 yards of bridleway that with the 100-400L I managed to get only two shots which weren't simply looking at an expanse of wall.
Here's the other - and I know the verticals and horizontals are off - I'll fix that whenn I get home:
IMG_9725_edited-1.jpg

There'll be more to see as spring brings out foliage and flowers. The bridleway runs roughly north south and serves to provide rear access to about 20 cottages, some of which are served by stone slab footbridges, some of which grow out of the bank of the stream. As I said earlier the bridleway is prevented from leading out to Salisbury Plain at it's northern end by the Mere bypass.
If you're interested, start at the junction of Upper Water Street and the B3095.
Next time I shall take the 17-40L, tripod and wellies.

Back