Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to all.

And let's spare a thought for those who won't be having such a good time.

I s'pose I best join in ( or at least pretend to :rolleyes:)..;Bah humbug :LOL:

Merry Christmas everyone….. …..Enjoy yourselves and please free feel free to request my postal address to send on any unwanted photography related pressies :exit::ROFLMAO:

Sunny winter's day here in the North, but apparently we're not getting the white stuff for midweek. :( The white clouds are just turning pink as the sun drops while I'm typing, so here's hoping for decent light next time you are able to get out shooting in the coming months. Oh, and I hope Santa is good to you as well. ;)

Like last year, we're jumping on a 'plane and leaving the festivities far behind. Really looking forward to spending time with friends and enjoying a traditional Icelandic Christmas Eve: giving each other a book and spending the evening reading, chatting, drinking and watching the snow gently fall...

...all night, frozen solid, camera batteries in my underpants, hoping for a glimpse of the Northern Lights! ;)

Merry Christmas everyone!

Like last year, we're jumping on a 'plane and leaving the festivities far behind. Really looking forward to spending time with friends and enjoying a traditional Icelandic Christmas Eve: giving each other a book and spending the evening reading, chatting, drinking and watching the snow gently fall...

...all night, frozen solid, camera batteries in my underpants, hoping for a glimpse of the Northern Lights! ;)

that sounds a really great way to spend the day and a focus for buying as well-big thumbs up from me.
and have a great crimbo all!

Happy xmas every one.
My xmas starts off catching mice in the living room :eek: every year they come in out of the cold (usually in the kitchen) and is usually just one..h'mm I've caught two so far (y).
God knows how they get into the house :( as about 2 months ago found a young squirrel in the bedroom. :eek:
In the green house (well away from the house) something was nibbling my seedlings, so set traps and caught 18 mice o_O
You'd think we lived on a farm with all this...oh well just my usual rant.

Happy xmas every one.
My xmas starts off catching mice in the living room :eek: every year they come in out of the cold (usually in the kitchen) and is usually just one..h'mm I've caught two so far (y).
God knows how they get into the house :( as about 2 months ago found a young squirrel in the bedroom. :eek:
In the green house (well away from the house) something was nibbling my seedlings, so set traps and caught 18 mice o_O

Maybe Santa should bring you a cat? :)

Happy xmas every one.
Do you think the squirrel let the mice in? The same way we used to let our mates into the cinema through the fire exits.

Get a Jack Russell - if you can put up with the barking. :D
If you can borrow one it may show you where they are getting in ;) .
I’ve had them come up from under the floor through an unnoticed hole where a radiator was moved.

If you can borrow one it may show you where they are getting in ;) .
I’ve had them come up from under the floor through an unnoticed hole where a radiator was moved.
What? Jack Russells?? :oops: :$

Merry Yule to one and all!

So many resolutions for the New Year, more film to shoot, less cameras to own.

Oh, and more printing of my pics....

Last edited:
Do you think the squirrel let the mice in? The same way we used to let our mates into the cinema through the fire exits.
Yeah, squirrels are little sods around here, always opening our fire exits and letting their mates in. I have told them I'll call the police next time... but they know the police take so long to come they'll be out and up a tree long before plod arrive... :exit:

Well 1999 will be the year we never found a dirty great spider in the bath (y)

Last edited:

I’m off to Iceland for a few days in January, I know the days will be short and I’m hoping to get some aurora shots as well. Do you have any advice on Film stock, locations close to Reykjavik? Thinking of taking the FM3A with 28, 50 & 105mm and maybe a medium format set up but haven’t decided on

Boas Festas todos

de Portugal com amor

the d00ds

I’m off to Iceland for a few days in January, I know the days will be short and I’m hoping to get some aurora shots as well. Do you have any advice on Film stock, locations close to Reykjavik? Thinking of taking the FM3A with 28, 50 & 105mm and maybe a medium format set up but haven’t decided on

The Harpa concert hall and old harbour next to it are my favourite places to take photos in the city. I also like poking around the back streets looking for interesting details. However, I'd recommend getting away from the city if you can. Iceland is at it's best well away from Reykjavik, in my opinion.

The sights of the Golden Circle (https://guidetoiceland.is/best-of-iceland/top-9-detours-on-the-golden-circle) are not far from Reykjavik. I never get bored of visiting Þingvellir and the steaming volcanic hills surrounding Geysir. January should be relatively quiet too. The summer seems to be rammed with coaches these days :( Having said that, there are so many lovely places in-between the 'sights' that we enjoy just driving around, stopping for a picnic in random places and hiking for an hour from the side of the road.

The best 'tips' I could give you are to prepare for all weathers, but not stress about what you end up with. Partly because it's such a beautiful country that there's always something to shoot in even the worst light and weather, plus the light tends to change very quickly as systems come through. I'd recommend ISO 400 film as it will cover you for bright winter sun through dull rainy days. Cameras with removable backs are handy for Iceland, so you can swap out colour and B&W. I managed with the Xpan last time, but was just really lucky with getting colour in for the blue sky days and B&W when the weather turned. It was much easier when I took my (long gone, but not forgotten) 503CX. I also spent ages looking for a camera rain cover last time we went, but ended up just getting the missus to hold a brolly—which worked just fine.

Gloves! Take good gloves :) ...And those studded things that strap onto your boots (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snow-Ant...s-Spikes-Crampon-Hiking-Climbing/352863259829). They make clambering about on ice a hell of a lot easier and safer.

Extra camera and light meter batteries, so you can keep a set next to your skin and swap them out if the temperature drops. That said, Iceland doesn't get as cold as most people think, unless you're right in the interior. The ocean air keeps it relatively mild.

No idea about Aurora shooting to be honest...apart from 'use a tripod'! Looks pretty cloudy for this week, so doubt we'll see much anyway.

Kodak Ektar and Fuji Provia, while relatively slow films, have pretty good reciprocity characteristics so might be worth considering for aurora shots.

I’m off to Iceland for a few days in January
I've heard their prawn rings are meant to be quite nice.

;) Joking aside, hope you have a great time and the northern lights shine on you. Don't forget to remove any daylight/UV filters from your lenses though, otherwise you'll get a strange Newton's rings type effect spoiling your photos. (y)

Don't forget to remove any daylight/UV filters from your lenses though, otherwise you'll get a strange Newton's rings type effect spoiling your photos. (y)

Am I missing another riff on the prawn joke, and if not, why would you get Newton's rings????

Well that's different as I would think most people would choose the Canary islands etc

Am I missing another riff on the prawn joke, and if not, why would you get Newton's rings????
Prawn ring = Iceland the frozen food shop instead of Iceland the country joke.

UV/Daylight filters + Northern Lights = Newton's Rings appearing across the sky and spoiling 'once in a lifetime' type shots. Not many people seem to know about this, so thought I'd better mention it as I think film photographers are more likely to have a UV filter on their lenses. A Google search should find info and example photos. Hopefully @RaglanSurf won't fall foul of this now (if he wasn't aware beforehand). (y)

Last edited:
Well that's different as I would think most people would choose the Canary islands etc

.... I reckon that for those folks born and bred in the UK a white christmas is the fundamental association with the celebration and therefore Iceland or Norway is more logical if you can afford the break. A skiing holiday at christmas is another option.

Hot climate islands in the sun is perhaps more for those who don't much like christmas in the UK and want to get away. The Chelsea set have gone to Argentina this year.

.... I reckon that for those folks born and bred in the UK a white christmas is the fundamental association with the celebration and therefore Iceland or Norway is more logical if you can afford the break. A skiing holiday at christmas is another option.

Hot climate islands in the sun is perhaps more for those who don't much like christmas in the UK and want to get away. The Chelsea set have gone to Argentina this year.

..and Nick is not that old ;) (y)

UV/Daylight filters + Northern Lights = Newton's Rings appearing across the sky and spoiling 'once in a lifetime' type shots. Not many people seem to know about this, so thought I'd better mention it as I think film photographers are more likely to have a UV filter on their lenses. A Google search should find info and example photos. Hopefully @RaglanSurf won't fall foul of this now (if he wasn't aware beforehand). (y)
Thanks Mr Badger, that’s really useful knowledge

The Harpa concert hall and old harbour next to it are my favourite places to take photos in the city. I also like poking around the back streets looking for interesting details. However, I'd recommend getting away from the city if you can. Iceland is at it's best well away from Reykjavik, in my opinion.

The sights of the Golden Circle (https://guidetoiceland.is/best-of-iceland/top-9-detours-on-the-golden-circle) are not far from Reykjavik. I never get bored of visiting Þingvellir and the steaming volcanic hills surrounding Geysir. January should be relatively quiet too. The summer seems to be rammed with coaches these days :( Having said that, there are so many lovely places in-between the 'sights' that we enjoy just driving around, stopping for a picnic in random places and hiking for an hour from the side of the road.

The best 'tips' I could give you are to prepare for all weathers, but not stress about what you end up with. Partly because it's such a beautiful country that there's always something to shoot in even the worst light and weather, plus the light tends to change very quickly as systems come through. I'd recommend ISO 400 film as it will cover you for bright winter sun through dull rainy days. Cameras with removable backs are handy for Iceland, so you can swap out colour and B&W. I managed with the Xpan last time, but was just really lucky with getting colour in for the blue sky days and B&W when the weather turned. It was much easier when I took my (long gone, but not forgotten) 503CX. I also spent ages looking for a camera rain cover last time we went, but ended up just getting the missus to hold a brolly—which worked just fine.

Gloves! Take good gloves :) ...And those studded things that strap onto your boots (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snow-Ant...s-Spikes-Crampon-Hiking-Climbing/352863259829). They make clambering about on ice a hell of a lot easier and safer.

Extra camera and light meter batteries, so you can keep a set next to your skin and swap them out if the temperature drops. That said, Iceland doesn't get as cold as most people think, unless you're right in the interior. The ocean air keeps it relatively mild.

No idea about Aurora shooting to be honest...apart from 'use a tripod'! Looks pretty cloudy for this week, so doubt we'll see much anyway.

Thanks @FujiLove really thorough and useful info there. I’m only going for a few days but am ridiculously excited, it’s been in my list for ages.

Kodak Ektar and Fuji Provia, while relatively slow films, have pretty good reciprocity characteristics so might be worth considering for aurora shots.

Good thinking Fishyfish.

Thanks Badger, I got the prawn ring bit, but didn't know about the UV filter problem. I haven't been able to find any images showing the problem, but every site does say take the UV filter off, or you'll get aberrations... (presumably these are not actually Newton's Rings, since these are interference effects from 2 surfaces in near contact, AFAIK... but that's me being a bit pedantic, I guess!)

... Anyway, it's near enough Christmas now for me to wish all F&C folk a very merry Christmas, with lots of goodies to eat and preferably some photographic treats under your trees.

(I'll hold off the New Year wishes until it's actually here, too long in Scotland!)

Back