Mersey Music 3 Gig

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
I covered a gig recently in Liverpool, my first with Gary Fongs milk bottle. Quite pleased with the results but it taught me one thing. The lightsphere can fall off and roll :D So since then its been velcroed onto my flash. I've also been inspired by the amount of detail and sharpness of Diego's shots so I've spent a lot of time in PS trying to work out wtf he does. I'm hoping I'm progressing along the right lines.

Edit: They're taken with my Sigma 10-20 and my Sigma 24-70. The same 24-70 I've had focusing/sharpness issues with recently and it hasn't been calibrated. When it works it really works.

CRW_4587-01.jpg

CRW_4594-01.jpg

CRW_4597-01.jpg

CRW_4599-01.jpg

CRW_4646-01.jpg

CRW_4688-01.jpg

CRW_4697-01.jpg

CRW_4733-01.jpg

I've no idea what a Gary Fong's milk bottle is......but I like the effect on number 1 and 4. Not too sure yet about number 3 :D I need to look at these a bit more, as they are so unusual, but my overall feeling is Yes, these work for me. Can you tell me a bit more about how you got them?

PS: I really like the close up in B&W of the singer.

Gary Fong's milk bottle is the Lightsphere. Looks like part of a milk bottle. It goes on your flash and produces nicer light. I did the colour shots on 0.5 or 1 second exposures with 2nd curtain flash. So you push the shutter, move a bit and then the flash goes to illuminate the singer. Its something like that :) It doesn't work with every band but when you have a band that's really energetic it can create a feeling of that energy.

Not seen any gig stuff from you for a while - great shots!
Third has to be my favourite, but the second is a close... Second.

I'm guessing you're shooting two bodies now, one with the 10-20 & tuther with the 24-70? Do you find that lots easier? I know I'm finding a dual body setup to be a godsend for events.

Gary Fong's milk bottle is the Lightsphere. Looks like part of a milk bottle. It goes on your flash and produces nicer light. I did the colour shots on 0.5 or 1 second exposures with 2nd curtain flash. So you push the shutter, move a bit and then the flash goes to illuminate the singer. Its something like that :) It doesn't work with every band but when you have a band that's really energetic it can create a feeling of that energy.

Thanks for the info. Funny isn't it, how deliberate movement looks good whilst accidental movement looks rubbish! As this months comp theme is movement........looks like you're in!:LOL:

These are pre-30D. Still haven't really been out anywhere and used 2 bodies. Not sure if I would for gigs. While it might make things easier, its even more to carry :) I keep looking at the 10D and 30D with all the attachments and then looking at the Leica M8 and thinking "Hmmmmmm so small!" :D

Thanks for the info. Funny isn't it, how deliberate movement looks good whilst accidental movement looks rubbish! As this months comp theme is movement........looks like you're in!:LOL:

Oh what! Not again. I keep posting my pics rather than entering :bang:

Ah right, fair enough :D

If you think they're looking a bit bulky, dump the grips ;)

One on each shoulder - win!

Was about to ask about the rear-sync thing but you've already answered it. Excellent work Pete and I really like the B&W stuff, top notch.

Colour shots by a mile for me :) What's the percentage of keepers you get using that technique?

Not very many :D Its really tricky to get the background lighting right and the face sharp and clear. Total trial and error.

Back