Messing with HDR

Edit My Images
No
Despite being very much in the "natural landscapes" way of thinking I'm dipping my toe in the HDR world using photomatix - these are both converted from a single raw file, I'd appreciate some feedback,

thanks

Simon

IMGP1745_HDR.jpg

SG103131_HDR.jpg

Personally, I prefer the first one compositionally. The second looks a little over-sharp although I really like the top half :)

Nicely done Simon (y) Hdr is really getting popular on this forum lately and thankfully it's not all being overdone.

love no1 just wondering what the difference would be using jpeg in the + - increments.

If I'm honest - I don't like this effect; Sorry, It looks like you ramped up the Unsharp mask too much in PS.

I looked at your website and everything there is simply bloody brilliant and I am in awe.

I especially like your Sunset at Conwy Castle and the Trwyn Du Lighthouse - Gorgeous work.

Please give "Photomatix" a miss and go back to producing more awesome shots again.

Last edited:
yep have to agre they over cooked
but some people like it that way
I prefer the more natural with hdr you can get a lot more detail into a picture rather than BLOW the colours

Just overdone and a bit oversaturated but almost there. Try bringing the strength down to about 90 and the microsmoothing up to 15, and go easy on the saturation. Temperature is best adjusted in photomatix but saturation is always best to keep it neutral in the HDR processing and adjust afterwards in PS

P.S you can always tell if it's overdone because the clouds will be muddy grey instead of fluffy white

Last edited:
Overcooked they might be but they work for me (y)

I've just looked at your website and you've got some amazing photographs! i especially like the look of LLANDDWYN BEACH with the ripples in the sand and the mountains in the background - may i ask how you kept the definition in the clouds? I've been using HDR for a couple of years and am wanting to acheive a more natural look and how clean this photo looks to me is unbelievable! If you're going to tell me you used a grad filter on this shot then my mind is made up and i'm going to save up for a set of grad filters. Please don't throw a spanner in the works by telling me no grads were involved :)

I've just looked at your website and you've got some amazing photographs! i especially like the look of LLANDDWYN BEACH with the ripples in the sand and the mountains in the background - may i ask how you kept the definition in the clouds? I've been using HDR for a couple of years and am wanting to acheive a more natural look and how clean this photo looks to me is unbelievable! If you're going to tell me you used a grad filter on this shot then my mind is made up and i'm going to save up for a set of grad filters. Please don't throw a spanner in the works by telling me no grads were involved :)

The main reason for these shots are that I rarely use much processing and out of interest thought I'd go to extremes and give HDR a try, it's as much an experiment as anything although I'll certainly give it a go in future.

I normally spend most of my time trying to catch the best lighting and the Llanddwyn beach photo is just one example, no filters in fact the main one I use is a polariser, not on this shot though - Ndgrads only very occasionally, I was just very lucky to catch great lighting - it was actually taken during January when the sun stays nice and low and haze isn't an issue, pretty much all of my best shots are taken between September and March.

If you're ever on Anglesey and fancy seeing it a little larger (20 x 10 feet) it's now on a wall in the Seacroft Gastro pub in Trearddur Bay (alledgely frequented by William and Kate:shrug:) , together with the Llanddwyn Island photo.

Thanks for the HDR tips, much appreciated!!

Simon

Last edited:
You've definitely found the max setting with your HDR. That said, I think they work.

just trying HDR myself, really like them both, the second one is my favourite though, at the moment im using 3 shots in jpegs, im guessing if i use 1 raw shot like you did there will be no camera movement, would this then be better than the 3 jpegs, sorry for the questions, just eager to learn

just trying HDR myself, really like them both, the second one is my favourite though, at the moment im using 3 shots in jpegs, im guessing if i use 1 raw shot like you did there will be no camera movement, would this then be better than the 3 jpegs, sorry for the questions, just eager to learn

I'm just picking up HDR myself so no expert but most HDR is created using a series of individual photos at different exposure settings (exposing for both shadows and highlights in the scene) taken whilst the camera is tripod mounted - the individual photos are then processed in software such as Photomatixs etc.

Mine here are from a single RAW file which allows you in ACR to under/overexpose a single shot by 4 stops either way so the exposure range using this method is more limited than if you combined a series of individual shots taken in Raw or for that matter .JPG - which I think is exactly what you have done, if so you're doing it more correctly than I am!!

Simon

yes i used 3 shots in jpeg, no tripod yet, but its on the list, just a steady hand for mine, photomatix seems to align them ok so far

I'm on holiday in Utah USA at the moment and I've been visiting and photographing some fantastic scenery. It's a public holiday here this long weekend and we visited a local fair with music and arts and craft stalls.

Quite a few were selling photo prints of the local scenery. Those showing HDR versions were getting the most interest. Personally I hate most (not all) HDR processed images and I certainly don't like these but I'd say if selling prints is your aim then HDR is something you have to do. The ones I saw for sale were more subtle than these but still obviously HDR.

Back