Critique Messing with oil & water

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
First go at oil and water, so open to critique / advice on how to improve / have more fun.

The first few are coloured water added to oil, whilst the last 2 are oil added to water. In each case I used two desk lamps and some coloured paper / glossy magazine covers underneath the container.

Previously posted in Creative forum but not much in the way of response there :-(

_DSC8308 by Ken McN, on Flickr

_DSC8323 by Ken McN, on Flickr

_DSC8333-Edit by Ken McN, on Flickr

_DSC8339 by Ken McN, on Flickr

_DSC8356 by Ken McN, on Flickr

_DSC8360 by Ken McN, on Flickr

_DSC8385 by Ken McN, on Flickr

Grateful for your thoughts.

Ken

They're really nice. Not keen on 8356 (too busy) and 8360 (too linear) but the colours are fab - esp in #1. The first three & the last have the strongest impact for me, with #1 winning out.

In terms of improvement (and what do I know about this type of photography?) I'd consider framing your image to avoid as many edge bubbles as possible. #3 is a good example of this and if the top bubble were fully in view and the bottom one not there, it would be a large improvement I think. Your last image kinda has this, but it's just one bubble. The background colours all compliment well. If this is by design - great & well done. If by accident, then maybe look up a colour wheel and deliberately choose complimentary colours.

Back