Metadata Title Sequencing

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anybody tell me how I can change the metadata of multiple images to have a title in a sequence e.g Party-001, Party-002, etc). I'm using the latest version of Lightroom CC.

Warning - potentially unhelpful advice... :)

Unfortunately I have no idea how / if this can be done in LR.

However, it's an extremely simple task for Photo Mechanic (using the "{seqn}" variable). So if it's a one-off job maybe you could download and make use of PM's 30 day trial period. Undoubtedly other software can do this sort of metadata gymnastics, and I'm sure someone will be along help out further.

Is this for the metadata title or just the file name?

Do you want to change the metadata template name or the image file name?

My website will use the metadata title to name the images. I basically want to change the image Title of multiple images in the metadata so that each image will have a sequenced number so that when I import them onto my website I don't have to go through each one and put the title in one by one manually.

Is this for the metadata title or just the file name?
I assumed you were talking about adding text + a number sequence in the "Title/Object Name" section within the IPTC/XMP metadata. You can use PM's 'variables' feature for automagically manipulating/adding metadata in your image files.

Last edited:
What do you mean PM's Variables?

What do you mean PM's Variables?
Sorry, I'm talking about using Photo Mechanic's 'variables' feature for automagically adding dynamic information into an image's metadata.

For example:
(a variable is defined within curly brackets { } when using Photo Mechanic)

PMVariableExample.png

So in the above example you would automatically add:
- an increasing number sequence to the text "Photo-" in the Title section (ie. Photo-001, Photo-002, Photo-003 etc. etc.etc.)
- add the filename without its file extension (ie. '.jpg' etc.) in the JobID section
- the current year using 4 characters (eg. "2016") in the Special Instructions section

I'm probably explaining this mind-boggingly poorly - sorry.

If you're not interested in using Photo Mechanic to write IPTC/XMP image metadata (it obviously does much more than this), then I should stop confusing your initial question. Photo Mechanic isn't a cheap option ($150) hence there's probably other ways/software to achieve what you want. However if you are interested (or wish to make use of the 30 day trial period), then I'm very happy to continue.

Never heard of this before, is there an option on your website to change how it names the files or even 'Do not rename files' ?

Never heard of this before, is there an option on your website to change how it names the files or even 'Do not rename files' ?
There is an option on my website, but I have to rename each image individually, which I have been doing and takes a while, I just wondered if there was an easier option to change the metadata titles of multiple images (around 200-300 at a time), with a sequenced name. Currently I've only found how to give all the images in the batch the same title.

Can you not just re name the image files?

You can batch rename in lightroom, in library view reorganise the images in the order you want by dragging them about, click ctrl+a to select all then press f2 to open rename dialogue. You can choose various templates or create your own naming template to rename them as a sequence. As far as I'm aware this updates meta for export at same time but not at my system to confirm.

Last edited:
What happens when you don't fill in the 'title' section and just leave it blank?

You can batch rename in lightroom, in library view reorganise the images in the order you want by dragging them about, click ctrl+a to select all then press f2 to open rename dialogue. You can choose various templates or create your own naming template to rename them as a sequence. As far as I'm aware this updates meta for export at same time but not at my system to confirm.

Doesn't this just rename the images (Filename) as oppose to changing metadata title?

What happens when you don't fill in the 'title' section and just leave it blank?

If I leave it blank then when I upload to website I have to rename them individually which takes about 10 seconds per image. Based on 250 images that means about 45 minutes. I can change the title in each image in lightroom one by one, and that means it takes about 20 minutes. I'm just looking if there is a faster way.

Back