Metering and focus points

Name
stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
Witch ones work best for air shows and motorsport on a canon 70d iv tried different metering modes but my photos aren't really good enough to tell the difference they have improved abit since then want try and improve them even more and see weather these would help or not

Hi Stuart

On smartphone right now but have you posted any pictures to show what you managed so far?

But on a general note ~ airshows exposure, I use centre weighted metering (actually use this setting for a lot of subjects) and when shooting in flight shots I.e. dark aircraft against bright sky you need to add Exposure Compensation by between +1 to +2 depending on just how bright the sky. I tend to start at +2 , check the histogram and dial back to taste.

HTH for now :)

Last edited:
For motorsport, unless the light's changing fast and frequently (eg clouds blowing across the sun), I tend to set the exposure manually and do a little chimping to check it's right. I almost always use the central focussing point and crop slightly loose so I can crop to the composition I want later.

Back