Beginner Metering Modes - Canon EOS 1200D

Name
Ellen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, I'm having some difficulty with the metering modes on my Canon EOS 1200D. When I select partial metering or centre-weighted average, I take a photo but it takes in evaluative metering even though I have selected another metering mode. I just don't understand why it keeps switching back when I've told it to use a different mode. I'm using my camera in manual mode too.

I'm working on assignment for my photography course where I have to demonstrate different metering modes and struggling as my camera has different ideas. Any suggestions on why this happens? Or how to stop it from happening? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

When I select partial metering or centre-weighted average, I take a photo but it takes in evaluative metering even though I have selected another metering mode. I just don't understand why it keeps switching back when I've told it to use a different mode.
The simple answer is that that shouldn't happen. So either your camera is faulty or you're doing something wrong (or at least, not doing what you think you're doing).
What are you doing to select the metering mode? Are you remembering to press SET after you've selected which mode you want to use?

The simple answer is that that shouldn't happen. So either your camera is faulty or you're doing something wrong (or at least, not doing what you think you're doing).
What are you doing to select the metering mode? Are you remembering to press SET after you've selected which mode you want to use?

Hey Stewart, I think I have worked out the issue, it seemed to not change when I was using the back screen rather than my view finder. When I used my view finder it worked fine. Should it still work if I'm not using the view finder?

Back