Metering - Small Survey

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Just going through some of the links mentioned in Arkady's 'Basic Training' thread http://www.thephotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5071 got me wondering...

I'd be interested to find out what kind of metering and shooting mode (manual/shutter priority/aperture priority) do people tend to use here, and what kind of problems do you encounter as a result?

To kick things off, I use manual mode and spot metering. The biggest problem I have is slight underexposure, so I guess I need to meter off a slightly darker area than I am doing at the moment...

As a rule I use both priority modes (app & shut) depending on the situation and amount of light about.

I normaly only use full manual when I'm shooting panoramics or external Flash , the rest of the time it's Av & Tv (depending on subject) shot in RAW to give me some room to fiddle when I **** it up :) . I leave the metering set to default (partial metering on 300D)

Brian

Manual and Matrix here too.

Manual and matrix most of the time

Aperture, Shutter, and occasionally full Manual.

Metering almost always Evaluative, and sometimes Partial metering.

TBH regarding metering modes I am seriously lacking in all but the basic understanding, still reading through Arkadys encyclopedia of links which I must add or a serious help to those like myself ;)

Manual and aperture priority

Manual and matrix with occasional forays into AV, TV and spot as and when required.

regards

AquilaEagle said:
What is 'P' used for?

'P' means Programme. This is a fully auto mode (sort of point and shoot) where you don't have to set either the aperture or the shutter speed, with the camera being completely automatic, making both settings depending on the amount of ambient light.

The problem with this is that there's no consideration given to DOF or shutter speed, depending on whether the shot is for example, a landscape or an action shot. Most cameras now have override settings (called Programme Shift) you can use in P Mode to alter the chosen shutter speed or aperture, while the camera maintains the same exposure value, but if you're going to do that you may as well be using SP, AP or manual. ;)

One thing that's been puzzling me recently is the terminology used to describe the various metering modes.

'Matrix' is the one that seems to be used alot, yet on Canon's (at least the 350/20 end of the scale) I believe the equivalent is 'Evaluative', which I sometimes use.

I tend to use Centre Weighted Average most of the time (which is as close to spot as I can get on my 350).
The only problem with the 350, is that Canon have buggered it up.

p_3_012icbig_c.gif

This is Centre-Weighted Average

p_3_012icbig_a.gif

This is Evaluative Metering

p_3_012icbig_b.gif

and this is Partial Metering

Am I the only one who thinks Evaluative and Centre Weighted Average should be the other way round?

Marcel said:
One thing that's been puzzling me recently is the terminology used to describe the various metering modes.

'Matrix' is the one that seems to be used alot, yet on Canon's (at least the 350/20 end of the scale) I believe the equivalent is 'Evaluative', which I sometimes use.

I tend to use Centre Weighted Average most of the time (which is as close to spot as I can get on my 350).
The only problem with the 350, is that Canon have buggered it up.

p_3_012icbig_c.gif

This is Centre-Weighted Average

p_3_012icbig_a.gif

This is Evaluative Metering

p_3_012icbig_b.gif

and this is Partial Metering

Am I the only one who thinks Evaluative and Centre Weighted Average should be the other way round?

I agree the icons tend to be misleading.

Agreement here too.

We have matrix, centre-weighted and spot.
Going into custom settings, you can alter the amount of centre-weighting and the diameter of the spot (on the F5, D1, D1x-H, D2x-H... dunno about D100/200/70 etc.).
Matrix is gleaming and I never use anything else except on rare occasions when I go to spot for a difficult shot like this one...

JMOT105300101050E.jpg

This is a bit soft - I think the shutter speed was about 1/5 sec wide open...

depends. For Macro full manual and evaluative metering. Motocross is usually centreweighted and aperture priority, partial metering and manual for anything that's tricky. Anything else usually aperture and evaluative.

It amazes me why the 20D doesn't have a real spot metering option. :(

Usually aperture priority for me (sometimes full manual) and matrix or spot metering. I never use the pre-programmed modes (portrait, macro, sports etc)

Always manual and evaluative.

Nikon used to crow that if you came across a scene you couldn't photograph in Matrix Mode, it was out of photographable range anyway. A tad optimistic I think, but it's a superb system and I certainly got away with some very tricky shots with matrix metering with my F4 and F90.

Canon's Evaluative metering is the same thing with a different name. and will produce good results most of the time.

I tend to use Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority modes, with evaluative or spot metering mostly.

Just had a play with the D200.
Awesome!
In some ways, the metering and AF settings are better than the D2x - esp. for anyone not prepared to spend £3kon the Pro model.

For me, depends on situation, but generally the evaluative/matrix system that panny use. If I want a specific part of the image to be metered, I'll use spot. If i'm shooting Landscape then it's a case of manual mode, meter for sky, meter for land and try to get something in between that doesn't blow the highlights. Don't tend to use the centre weighted option as I find, on my camera, it's a bit poo.

All this metering malarky is a bit alien to me anyways, coming from a '70's slr background that had very basic metering functionality. If it looks good, keep it, if it's wrong, try another setting and shoot it again! And BRACKET BRACKET BRACKET!!!!!!!!!

Back