Metz 45 CL-4 safe to use on camera?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Right so I have searched on here and online but I can't get a clear answer, I need a flash that I can use on camera and I have 2 Metz 45 CL-4's. Now thy have an Auto and TTL mode but I think they are the older versions and I know its all about the voltages, I really cant afford to fry my camera. I'm using a Canon 40D and I was looking at connecting it through the PC sync port, I have tried it and it worked fine but I got scared that i was going to fry my camera.

Are the voltages too high to use it connected directly to the camera or am I safe? I have read in various places it is safe and it isn't so I don't know what to think. Would it be worth emailing Metz themselves to clarify my query, if so do I contact sales or service?

Cheers

Chris

It is very easy to check the voltage yourself. The connection between the flash and camera has two contacts (using either pc or hotshoe). If you put a voltmeter to these two contacts and fire the flash you will get the trigger voltage for that flash.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Ok I think I was doing it wrong, I checked it with the meter on DCV and it measured no higher than 9. I'm guessing it is safe to use unless I haven't metered it correctly, could someone verify this?

Back