Metz CL4 flash with skyport

Edit My Images
No
I have a Metz cl4 and am trying to find a way to safely use with my canon 5d3 I read that the power through the pc sync cable could damage my camera but what about if I connected it to my skyport via a male to female pc sync that then would go into the 3.5mm jack skyport, or would the power equally damage the skyport

I've connected that flash to other canon bodies without any problems not sure about the 5d3 though.

There was a scare about this in the late 90's (so at least 17 years ago) because Canon brought out some models of camera that, basically, would fry if people used any flashgun with them except a "genuine" Canon one and this scare generated a whole new industry of "solutions" to what was either a non-existent problem or to one that only existed for a very short time, and of course the rumours and beliefs about this "problem" still continue today:)

This may help http://dpanswers.com/content/genrc_flash_measuretv.php

And there probably isn't even a potential problem with your flashgun anyway. A 5 second search came up with this https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/35981748

Thank you both - i did search honest but just got myself more confused and scared. So its safe to use the pc connection on the side of the camera but maybe not the hot shoe. I only have a metz flash to pc cord anyway so I cannot go the hot shoe route. But now I am searching for either a female pc to 3.5 jack or a female to female pc so that I can connect my metz to my skyport. I have found both but in China but I need it this week

Last edited:
Switch on the CL4 and wait until it's ready to fire. Then measure the voltage across it's trigger terminals with a voltmeter. That's the voltage the camera will have to deal with. Then open your camera's manual. In the back there should be a specification section with all sorts of boring technical details such as the maximum voltages that the PC sync socket and the hot shoe will support. As has already been pointed out, there's a whole industry of solutions to this dreadful problem of flashguns frying cameras which only ever existed for certain models.

Thanks Chris, I have just measured it and its 8.76 - was tricky at first because its only a male pc sync but I had a brainwave and cut down a straw and slit its length so I could roll it small enough to poke down and so isolate the pin from the outer.
No mention in the speck in the book but on page 192 it says do not connect any flash to the pc requiring more than 250v. So it all looks safe.
Now where can I get a cord with a female on each end to connect my metz to my skyport trigger, the trigger has a 3.5mm jack and I have a 3.5mm jack to male pc for that - so I now have two male pc, one from the metz and one from the skyport, the only place I have seen a female to 3.5 jack is ebay from china but I need a solution this week for off camera with the metz.
I do have an optical trigger but that needs very much a direct view of the triggering flash, (unless it is just a rubbish opti trigger )

Back