MFT Wide angle ?

Sitting at home in lockdown and grey light with a bit of GAS, this has been an interesting read.
Before I sold my Nikon gear and migrated wholly to Olympus, I had a wide angle lens of equivalent 15 mm and enjoyed using it in the right environment, mainly indoors or close up at vintage car etc shows.
I have pondered the best replacement for it in M4/3 and my choice would be the Oly 7-14 or the Panny 8-18.
I have read many reviews and they have not really helped me decide.
This thread indicates that quite a few members have tried both ( and others) .
I note that @alfbranch and @tijuana taxi seem to have had both, or have extensive knowledge of them.

I prefer the idea of using the Oly because of the camera match ( may not be rational, but thats the way I am :)) but in this instance the Panny seems to have some benefits.

From the reviews
the Panny seems more subject to flare.​
The Panny has a wider focal range and the 18 mm end is useful even though there is a loss from 8 to 7 at the short end.​
The Oly has the 2.8 throughout the range.​
Both seem sharp as each other.​

And then there is the possibilty of the 'proposed' Oly 8-25 f/4, which if it is as good as the 12-45 then that might be a really viable alternative.
Any advice?

My choice is the Panasonic 8-18, compact, weather resistant, standard filter thread and excellent image quality
Downsides are only f/2.8 at 8mm and anecdotal reports of variable sample quality.
Not noticed any instances of flare, I think that is appertaining to the Panasonic 7-14 when used on an Olympus body
My lens is trouble free although its possibly advisable to buy where you have the option of return
Even better in person where you could try different samples, but that doesn't seem likely given the current circumstances

I know nothing of the proposed 8-25, it depends if you want a lens now or are prepared to wait for an unknown length of time
If it is as good as the 12-45 (I have one and its excellent) then it would certainly be worth considering

Last edited:
My choice is the Panasonic 8-18, compact, weather resistant, standard filter thread and excellent image quality
Downsides are only f/2.8 at 8mm and anecdotal reports of variable sample quality.
Not noticed any instances of flare, I think that is appertaining to the Panasonic 7-14 when used on an Olympus body
My lens is trouble free although its possibly advisable to buy where you have the option of return
Even better in person where you could try different samples, but that doesn't seem likely given the current circumstances

I know nothing of the proposed 8-25, it depends if you want a lens now or are prepared to wait for an unknown length of time

Thanks Rich
Do you use it on a Lumix body?

Thank you.
I had read some instances of the 100- 400 Panny being a bit difficult to fit to the EM1.
That is reassuring.

That was one batch from around the time of the last NEC photo show.
An issue with the lens mount that caused some metal to be shaved from the camera mount surface.

The Panasonic 8-18mm is my lens of choice and it is way better than the Oly 9-18. I use 85mm square filters with my 8-18 a combination of Formatt Hitech and Cokin Nuances. The 7-14 was out of the running for me as it needed big filters and a special filter holder.

Someone asked me what I changed about my photography a while back and first I thought noting but them realised it was the change to the 8-18mm and has made a real difference.
I can see me changing to the Oly 8-25 though.

One thing I would say though is the Panasonic repairs service is rubbish I broke my 8-18 when my tripod toppled gently and had to buy a replacement lens at a minor discount thankfully it was insured but as the quote was wrong and settled my claim on the quote I was over £100 out of pocket.

H-E08018 broken lens mount by Alf Branch, on Flickr

The Panasonic 8-18mm is my lens of choice and it is way better than the Oly 9-18. I use 85mm square filters with my 8-18 a combination of Formatt Hitech and Cokin Nuances. The 7-14 was out of the running for me as it needed big filters and a special filter holder.

Someone asked me what I changed about my photography a while back and first I thought noting but them realised it was the change to the 8-18mm and has made a real difference.
I can see me changing to the Oly 8-25 though.

Thanks Alf.
I remember reading in another thread how much you thought that the lens had affected your work. It may be what I need (!) and it does seem to be a little cheaper than the Oly 7-14 on the second hand market.
It’s a bit of a conundrum re the 8-25 . The new Olympus owners say that they are going to carry on with products and are soon to release the the 150-400 but no news on the 8-25. I tend not to be one for buying and then selling, although that may be a mistake,

Had one thought about the 8-25, expect it will be an extending design unlike the 8-18.
Not so keen on that and also wonder as an Olympus Pro lens how much bigger and heavier it might be.

Had one thought about the 8-25, expect it will be an extending design unlike the 8-18.
Not so keen on that and also wonder as an Olympus Pro lens how much bigger and heavier it might be.
The 8-18 doesn't extend as such but the front element moves back and forth inside what I will describe as the metal tube at the front of the lens with the filter thread on the front

The 8-18 doesn't extend as such but the front element moves back and forth inside what I will describe as the metal tube at the front of the lens with the filter thread on the front

I think the 8-25 will be of a "trombone" design and possibly a little bit bigger/heavier overall than the 12-40

I think the 8-25 will be of a "trombone" design and possibly a little bit bigger/heavier overall than the 12-40
Does anyone know if it's planned to be a f2.8 constant / f2.8-4 / f4 constant? Certainly if it was f2.8 constant it would tempt me even if of the trombone (I like that description) design.

Does anyone know if it's planned to be a f2.8 constant / f2.8-4 / f4 constant? Certainly if it was f2.8 constant it would tempt me even if of the trombone (I like that description) design.

Sorry to disappoint, its said to be f/4 constant presumably to keep the size down.

Back