Mgarr Harbour T&S

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
Yes
Used the built in settings of the D810 to create this tilt & shift feel.................

ADY_4517.jpg

Love the look tilt shift can create but feel this would have been better if all the boat was in focus (just my opinion thought). Lovely scene regardless.

Love the look tilt shift can create but feel this would have been better if all the boat was in focus (just my opinion thought). Lovely scene regardless.
:agree:

A real tilt shift image would leave the entire boat, including mast in sharp focus as the mast, despite it's height is on the same plane of focus.

Unfortunately that is the problem with pseudo tilt-shift as @Pookeyhead says the whole boat should be in focus. I personally dont mind the software effect it can work quite well with some images but this shows its limitations.

I tend to agree - it can provide a good effect but it has to be used with care to ensure everything that should be in focus is in focus. It still does the job of tricking the eye into the toy image effect though.

As others have said, the tilt/shift effect only really works if objects that are at the same focal distance are also in focus - ie. the masts of the yacht. I would suggest applying the tilt/shift effect to a copy of the image in a second layer and then using masking to 'paint out' the blurred sections of the boat to reveal the sharper masts.

Back