Miami, Orlando & NYC

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
No
Ahoy there...

Today i have been given the opportunity to go to the above places completely free of charge...

With only just buying my canon 1100d and still displaying my L plates with it id love to give it a proper outing when i go to America...

I have done abit of searching through the forums r.e my questions but im still not 100% sure so thought it would be best asking the pros!

Firstly with NYC being amazing and the amount of photo opportunitys huge thers only really a few i want to get as near to perfect as i can....
I would love a night shot looking out from the viewing area on either Empire state or the rock but im not 100% sure on how to take night shots with my camera....
Still not 100% on all the functions of it, fortunatly i have a 9hr flight to read my guide i downloaded...

Secondly i have 3 lenses in my collection, a canon 50mm, canon 17-55mm and a tamron 70-300... would it be better taking all 3 or just one?

And lastly is there any accessories you would reccomend buying before going, or any i could get for cheaper out there..

Thanks for any help in advance... the questions sound pretty lame but im stumped!!

If anyone has any more bits of advice about anything related it will be greatly appreciated

JS172 said:
Ahoy there...

Today i have been given the opportunity to go to the above places completely free of charge...

With only just buying my canon 1100d and still displaying my L plates with it id love to give it a proper outing when i go to America...

I have done abit of searching through the forums r.e my questions but im still not 100% sure so thought it would be best asking the pros!

Firstly with NYC being amazing and the amount of photo opportunitys huge thers only really a few i want to get as near to perfect as i can....
I would love a night shot looking out from the viewing area on either Empire state or the rock but im not 100% sure on how to take night shots with my camera....
Still not 100% on all the functions of it, fortunatly i have a 9hr flight to read my guide i downloaded...

Secondly i have 3 lenses in my collection, a canon 50mm, canon 17-55mm and a tamron 70-300... would it be better taking all 3 or just one?

And lastly is there any accessories you would reccomend buying before going, or any i could get for cheaper out there..

Thanks for any help in advance... the questions sound pretty lame but im stumped!!

If anyone has any more bits of advice about anything related it will be greatly appreciated

I'm not exactly sure what type of help you are looking for so I will give you a few examples of important things to do for night shooting.

Take advantage of your 17-55 for the wide angle to take it all in. Its a brilliant lens. I find that starting at 18mm is sharper than 17. That is always the widest I go.

Use the tripod for sure.
Lock the mirror of your camera. You can do this by simply turning on the live view when you shoot.
Do not use the shutter button. Use a remote to avoid any camera shake. If you do not have or want to buy a remote use the built in self timer.
Turn off the image stabilizer on your lens when you are mounted of the tripod.
Be prepared to manually focus because a lot of the time there is not enough light for your auto focus to work. Because my eyes are not so good making manual focus a challenge at times I set the focal length, magnify in on the spot I want to focus on, manually focus and back out of the magnify and shoot. Many times I have to scroll around to find the spot I want to focus on but without this method I could not manually focus.

I'm sure I left out a bunch but maybe some of the others can add to this list.

Good luck. P.s. I live in the u.s. and have never been to n.y. been to Florida many time though.

Back