Micro four thirds walk around lens for Olympus EM5 MKii.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Having sold on my DSLR as it was getting no use, I am looking at buying a Olympus EM5 MKii and am looking for advice as to peoples experiences with various lenses.

I am looking for a general walk around lens which isn't to bulky and would welcome and suggestions people may have.

Cheers

Paul

Not on the EM-5 mkII,but on an an EM-1,but sorry havnt got any photos I can put my hand to quickly,as I also use Fuji which I have mainly been using :)

If you want to save bulk, the 14-40EZ or if you want faster aperture the 12-40 pro.

Depends entirely on YOUR priorities.

I have both, and I don't use the 14-40EZ...

For all the comments about the 12-40's size, I'm actually pleased with mine. Perfectly weighted on the em1 but of course it's not ez or p20 sized. Lightning fast to focus, there's some in my the Flickr link in my signature

I use the 12-40 f2.8 on mine, very nice lens, and very compact compared to the lenses I use on my D750 ;)

the panasonic 12-32 is a fine lens. makes the em5 a jacket pocketable camera, starts nice and wide and doesn't have that (imho) horrible power zoom the 14-40. granted it isn't that fast, but for a walk around lens it is very very good.

size comparison with the 12-40
http://j.mp/1IihZoY

a snap from last week -
first pint! by /Cud, on Flickr

I've had the 14-42ez, 12-32mm pancake and 12-40mm f2.8 and the 12-40mm is in a different class to the other two IMO. The others are very good, but they are what they are.

I preferred the 12-32mm over the 14-42mm due to the manual zoom.

I found the 12-40 a bit nose heavy on my e-m5, bought the panasonic 12-35 which balances better...though it flares a bit at night.

Budget option while you sort out what you want is the Panasonic 14-45, lovely cheap lens!

I also really like the Olympus 9-18 as a wide walkaround, then carry a longer prime in a pocket, happy days :)

I found the 12-40 a bit nose heavy on my e-m5, bought the panasonic 12-35 which balances better...though it flares a bit at night.

Budget option while you sort out what you want is the Panasonic 14-45, lovely cheap lens!

I also really like the Olympus 9-18 as a wide walkaround, then carry a longer prime in a pocket, happy days :)
Can't say I've had any issue using the 12-40mm on the EM5-II, but then I always hold the 'camera' under the lens.

Another shout for the 12-40 f2.8 . I use this on on my EM5 with first part grip . Extremely compact for a 24-80 full frame equivalent. Not really a whole heap in it over the Panasonic 12-35 size wise to justify buying the lesser lens.

Thanks for all the input. I walked into LCE in Manchester today and nearly walked out considerably lighter. Just need to get this past SWMBO....

I have the 14-40mm EZ and it is a nice little lens but might be a bit soft for some people. I added a JJC branded auto lens cap (a lot cheaper than the official Olympus one) to it so all you need to do is turn the camera on and is ready to shoot without worrying about where to put the cap. I find that I use this lens most as it is compact and very convenient

Great lens for landscape, not so good as a general walkaround for me though.

Have to say i quite like it as a walk around, i quite like the 24 to 35 range, and the ability to go very wide is a useful trick to have in a lens, particularly as a travel lens.

Back