Micro lens and autofocus and VR

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I would like to buy a micro lens for my d3300 mainly for jewellery, but I was wondering if auto focus and vibration reduction is needed or i can go for a cheaper old fashion lens?

Thank you

If you’re doing macro-jewelery, you will likely need a tripod. I would not worry about VR or autofocus. Check the compatibility of your camera with the older macro lens as I’m not sure how old you want to go. I have a feeling ai lenses may work without issue but you still need to tell the camera the parameters of the lens if memory serves me.

Ken Rockwell has an article on lens compatibility. You can google it.

Although the 3300 will work with AI glass, it will not meter but in full manual you can test a few shots until you get your exposure right. You will be in a controlled environment so that makes it easier.

Now that I think about it, the 3300 may not have that menu where you define the lens parameters since it won’t meter with non-cpu lenses.

Others may chime in too.

As other say, VR/AF not needed. Much more important is to master focus stacking and processing as you generally want everything to be i focus.

Lenses with perspective correction (tilt/shift) make things easier.

As other say, VR/AF not needed. Much more important is to master focus stacking and processing as you generally want everything to be i focus.

Lenses with perspective correction (tilt/shift) make things easier.

I think the OP wants to go cheaper; PC glass may not be an option.

Hi all,

I would like to buy a micro lens for my d3300 mainly for jewellery, but I was wondering if auto focus and vibration reduction is needed or i can go for a cheaper old fashion lens?

Thank you

Using a tripod, neither AF nor image stabilisation really apply. When hand-holding, stabilisation is helpful in daylight (as opposed to flash) but again AF is often unhelpful at close macro range. The technique is usually to focus up roughly by hand manually, then move your body very gently back and forth and watch the plane of sharp focus as it moves over the subject.

Lighting will be the number one priority, perhaps followed by focus stacking technique when you've got the basics sorted. Alternatively a tilt & shift lens (eg Nikon 85mm PC) would undoubtedly be an interesting option for optimising depth of field, but they're expensive and take some getting used to.

You only need a tripod if you do plan to focus stack your images, if not, then it'll only be in the way IMO. Good lighting and good technique is what you need. All macro lenses will be tack sharp,. and you don't need AF - but you do need to learn the technique for getting sharp macro, as Hoppy suggests. Look out for a used Tamron 90mm macro, or Sigma 105mm

Thank you for the link, is that a 1:1 lens? Are the 1:1 only fixed focus length? Sorry but I'm just starting in this photography world

Thank you for the link, is that a 1:1 lens? Are the 1:1 only fixed focus length? Sorry but I'm just starting in this photography world

No, that's not a proper macro lens, it's just a standard range zoom that happens to focus a bit closer than most. There is no technical definition of 'macro' and so it's a term that often gets abused.

But most people would say a proper macro lens will go down to 1:1 reproduction ratio, and AFAIK they'll all primes, not zooms, with fixed focal length. Another thing about macros is they're always very good quality and exceptionally sharp.

A 60mm lens will do the job along with a tripod manual focus is fine as the jewellary will not move a light tent would also help with the lighting

As long as the aperture on this will work then this lens will do the job

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Nikon-55mm-f2.8-Micro-AI-S_194036.html

Light tent

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/phott...iArKZpoyF2HjrLNjTIrWO78yilqN-3WQaAuSJEALw_wcB

Couple of liughts

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/manfrotto-lumimuse-3-led-light-black-1570439/

Also a small but solid tripod

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/manfrotto-pixi-mini-tripod-black-1539577/

If you want nice sparkly jewelry, then a light tent will just make everything look flat and dull.

Check the lighting in a jewelry shop, and it's all small bright spot lights that reflect off the shiny facets. That's the effect you have to create, and it's not easy. Jewelry can be one of the most challenging subjects in all sorts of ways.

Back