MicroAdjustment Software

Sounds interesting, I wonder if it will work on the 50D and 7D seen as they have micro adjustment too.

Will be keeping an eye on this thread for your results in testing should it work.

Having read the full details from the link posted the software now supports the 7D and the developer has confirmed that he will being doing it for the 50D too, although chances are the 50D will work under the 5D II or the 7D.

Think I'm going to give it a bash on my sigma 10-20 which I believe is back focusing slightly.

Thanks for this Dave (y)

Will give it a go on my 7D and Sigma after work.

Paul

I tried it on the 50D and whilst the software recognises the camera and begins a preliminary test, it doesn't actually follow through.

For just now I will wait until the developer gets it working with the 50D, unless someone else get's it working in the mean time.

I tried it on the 50D and whilst the software recognises the camera and begins a preliminary test, it doesn't actually follow through.

For just now I will wait until the developer gets it working with the 50D, unless someone else get's it working in the mean time.

That's what happened to me with my 7D until I updated to the latest version I've linked above.
Also the program won't start with the camera already connected.
Don't forget to run it as admin.
Works like a charm.

Paul

Redpaul said:
That's what happened to me with my 7D until I updated to the latest version I've linked above.
Also the program won't start with the camera already connected.
Don't forget to run it as admin.
Works like a charm.

Paul
Sounds like when the developer sorts it out for the 50D all will be dandy for me.
Yeah I ran it in windows 7 as admin to get it to work.

Just done the 85-135-24-70and 70-200,just let the software do its stuff..seems to work ok on Mk3s..have to get out tomorrow and try the results,the main adjustment it made was on the 85,i had it set to 8+ the software said 4+ did them all wide open..we'll see eh :D

Just done the 85-135-24-70and 70-200,just let the software do its stuff..seems to work ok on Mk3s..have to get out tomorrow and try the results,the main adjustment it made was on the 85,i had it set to 8+ the software said 4+ did them all wide open..we'll see eh :D

Really interesting. Pardon my ignorance ( I haven't installed it yet), but does it adjust a zoom all the way through the focal length?

That's good to hear Dave. Will look forward to your real world assessment.

Really interesting. Pardon my ignorance ( I haven't installed it yet), but does it adjust a zoom all the way through the focal length?
Well i did the zooms both at 70mm and 2.8 never varied the focal length,the instructions dont mention anything about zooms,pretty vague instructions (for me anyway)..if dont work i guess its back to the lensalign thingy..:LOL:

Well i did the zooms both at 70mm and 2.8 never varied the focal length,the instructions dont mention anything about zooms,pretty vague instructions (for me anyway)..if dont work i guess its back to the lensalign thingy..:LOL:

Hmmm, the one lens I'd love to test is my 100-400 at the long end. Still, the proof of the pudding etc. ...................:)

It doesn't do anything that you can't do manually, and seems to be less accurate and inconsistent judging by all those posts on POTN.

I guess it's a fun toy but TBH I don't see the point. If you have a good target and know what you're doing (not hard, and you still need that with this computerised thing) it only takes a few minutes and you know it's right.

Edit: why can't you test your 100-400?

Last edited:
Do you mean conventionally or with this software?

Conventionally.

Distance is usually the problem with long lenses, ie something sensible that you're likely to be shooting at with real stuff, because if the test target is too close it's possible to introduce or make worse an error that doesn't exist at normal range. And that problem will be the same whatever method you use.

Try this. Stick a magazine page of text on a brick wall, and frame the camera up square on a tripod so you get maybe five or six bricks wide. That will automatically dictate a realistic distance for maybe a head shot, but be close enough so you can see the changes.

Shoot a series through the microadjust range from -20 to +20 at increments of 5. Zoom in on the LCD and see which is sharpest. Then shoot another series at increments of 1 or 2 either side of that and pick the best one. That should do it, but do a final check with live view AF as a reference and flick between the two on max magnification on the LCD (you have a good LCD on your cameras) and they should be identical.

Last edited:
It's an in-camera mechanism that allows you to adjust each lens for optimal focus. I don't think yours has it.

Or an excuse for people to use if their images are blurred :D

I like the idea of using Reikan's software to provide a controlled process for MF adjustment.

Installed the latest version, it appears to work with the 7D and Canon 17-55, but I'm getting inconsistent results.

0 adjustment required about 4 times
-30 adjustment required about 4 times
-6 adjustment once

The software also reports a measured 2.75 metres from camera to target as 3.1 metres.

Has anyone else had such inconsistent results, or is it just me?

Chris

I haven't used the software yet, but I'm keeping an eye on its development. However, one thing about distance measurements - the distance should be measured to the sensor plane, not the front of the lens. Could that explain the difference?

I adjusted my 85-135-70-200,the 85 i had an adjustment of +8,the software suggested +4,the 135 i had at 0,software said +2,the 70-20 i had at 0 it is now +2...Went out the other day to check and am very pleased with the new adjustments,all bang on..
I had previously set them all up with the Spyder Lenscal and am happier with the results of this software (y)

Thanks Tim & Dave,

I'll spend a bit more time to see if I can get some consistent results. perhaps better light will help

I really like the idea of what the software author is doing, it should be a lot better than the "sloping cards" calibration! I hope he continues to work on the development of the tool.

Chris

Seems great, I wish I'd had this for the 7D (may be in development apparently)

Looking forward to seeing this work on the 50d. Hope he makes it happen!

Thats great news for 7D owners and not getting MA working right was one of the reasons I got frustrated with mine and subsequently downgraded, I wonder if this had been out then if my sig would be different...

iv just tested my nifty fifty and had mixed results . from 0 to +30 the scale only goes to twenty on the camera. my sigma 17-70 gave more consistant results with a setting of +3 at both ends of the zoom. nice and easy to use but im not sure about the results.

iv just tested my nifty fifty and had mixed results . from 0 to +30 the scale only goes to twenty on the camera. my sigma 17-70 gave more consistant results with a setting of +3 at both ends of the zoom. nice and easy to use but im not sure about the results.

I had similar inconsistencies with my 7D, although, I’ve not downloaded the latest version.

There are a couple of guys having error 70 problems with 5Ds on the POTN forum, so I’m a bit cautious, even though I have a 7D

Have you tried the new update?

Chris

i have version 6.1.4 had no errors software runs fine. will give the nifty another go to see what happens

Just seen the author's blog - there's some comments about the possibility of "bricking" a 7D, along with a report from a user about error 70 on his 7D. He has now pulled the latest version - it's not looking good.

http://www.reikan.co.uk/photography/blog/?p=1531

I hope he resolves the problems, the programme has great potential, but I'm no risking making a paperweight out of my 7D

Chris

Time for an update on this. I've been selected as one of the official beta testers for the software, now called FoCal. The bricking concerns were sorted out a long time ago and were easily rectified by a bit of fiddling with camera settings, with no need to return the camera to Canon.

There was a bit of a hiccup at the start of official beta testing, now also overcome, which explains why some people were getting daft results during the informal beta test phase earlier. Now that that hurdle has been overcome I have to say that the software is very impressive.

I've been testing with my 5D2 and 7D and nine different Canon lenses including zooms and primes, L and non-L. The graphs it plots to show sharpness variations across a range of AF microadjustment values really helps you understand the performance of your gear and also the variations in repeatability/consistency (yes, EF 50/1.8, I'm looking at you) that could so easily lead to poor judgements and/or frustrations when trying to calibrate manually with printed sheets and rulers.

Here's my test setup for calibrating lenses up to 55mm in focal length (although I can go longer if I like)....

2011-12-23.jpg

I won't go into any more detail now, as it's still in testing and I'm sure the developer can do a perfectly good job of explaining his product, but I think this is a product to keep an eye on. It's going to be a winner. (y)

Latest info here - http://www.reikan.co.uk/focal/.

Back